COM Port Trouble with Logitech Unifying Software (?)

So… no, it isn’t fixed. Still stopping in mid-cut. One time, I got through all the variables to “Raise the bit”, and it quit between that and “Carve!”

I have two USB cables, the original and what came with the upgrade. I’ve tried both.

Phil mentioned reflashing my controller. A thorough search of the forum found numerous threads that mention it, but none that tell what it means or how to do it or where to find out how to do it. My best guess is, in Easel, go to the Machine menu, click Advanced, and click Upload Firmware. Is that it? If so, then how about if we stop calling it “reflash the controller” and start calling it “upload the firmware” for clarity?

Anyway, I did that. Here goes another attempt.

Based on other threads, it appears like maybe there are some issues with the USB bulkhead connection. Might want to look into that as a possibility as well.

1 Like

'scuse my neophytism. Does “bulkhead connection” mean the female jack on the controller?

Okay, I pressed the USB cable connector to the right in the jack, and my blue Carve button turned green, so yeah, not a good connection there.

1 Like

Yes. Sorry, used to calling panels that at work.

How tight did you tighten the screws? I remember mine being a PITA and thinking they were all the way in but the actual jack was being pressed inward.

Yes, the screws are tight. Based on this thread:

…I opened the controller box, but I didn’t see anything inside that I could plug this cable into. If it had a mini-connector on one end, I could, but oh well. So instead, I took my tiniest flat-point screwdriver and pried the two copper connectors on either side of the female jack out farther, so that they both press against the male jack. I haven’t run a project yet, but the Carve button has been staying green while I fool around since I did that.

Aaaand that was not it. I give up. I’m going to return this ______ ______ ______ machine along with a bill for hours lost.

Just making sure but you’re fully seating the USB cable into the front panel and its a tight/secure fit, right? It’s not vibrating loose during a carve? The same for the pigtail from the front panel to the board?

This sounds vibration or temperature related. Either a cable being loose or a bad solder joint.

Have you contacted Inventables at all? This might be a circuit card issue and this thread should give them plenty of background. The customer support they offer is top notch.

1 Like

Okay. Maybe a night’s sleep will help. I’m actually in physical pain from knotted muscles trying to suppress frustration and anger.

1 Like

Sorry, we aren’t open on Saturday. They will pick up the case on Monday.

Does the green light on the X-Controller turn on? Do you hear the fan?

If you reinstalled the Arduino it’s possible that GRBL isn’t on there anymore. That would give you the clicking.

Have you tried a different computer to validate that you are getting the same response?

That seems odd. I would expect it to dole the g-code out to the machine a little at a time. Does does the arduino have ram memory for storing a complete g-code set of instructions, such that Easel sends the whole thing at once and closes its connection while the CNC processes it? And if that’s the case, how does it send a Pause or Cancel?

I saw above that Inventables support won’t be available until Monday. I won’t invest any more time in this issue until then. I’ve gone back to my saws and drills to get this work done.

1 Like

1.0c is what mine had before I reflashed, and 1.0c is what it reflashed with. Is LarryM’s different from Easel’s?
My most recent Windows updates were January 10 - KB3213986, and January 25 - KB3211320. Neither mentions ports or USB.

Let’s go a tad different route…are you Xcontroller ribbon cables secure? If the stop carve button pin wiggles a little, it may trigger an abort which could be what you’re seeing

I still think this is a manufacturing issue with the soldering of components. It happens all too often unfortunately.

Okay, I have downloaded LarryM’s modded version, the update from https://discuss.inventables.com/t/xcarve-jtech-grbl-update-11-12-2016/28943/8. The readme file says the reason for this mod is to accomodate a J-Tech laser module, which I do not have. Do you know of edits he made that would help with my (our) issue?

JUstin, thanks, my cables are secure. I checked that when I opened the box yesterday looking to bypass the USB jack.

I wasn’t reading that thread and had a thought about that maybe could be causing the issue here which was presented as aborting during a carve.

I’m not saying what you’re saying is wrong, just throwing out other potential solutions to an issue. There’s been plenty of other instances where ribbon cables have caused issues as well.

If using just a different HEX works, then by all means use it. Could Inventables have another issue with the firmware being flashed like they saw late last year? Maybe.

1 Like

Incidentally, in searching for LarryM’s edit I found the thread, “Good Grief! More smashed Z switches”, (Good Grief! More smashed Z switches) which was interesting to me because my machine has smashed two of them so far. I’ll be adding the bolt in the threaded hole to prevent that.

Soft limits is something I just read about and still have to be educated on. I came to CNC with no knowledge of it at all, and haven’t found a clear and simple step-by-step beginner’s study guide. I had the impression that the switches kill the power to the stepper motor when tripped, but I guess not, if a switch can get smashed. At least, not every time. I tested it with my finger and it stopped the carriage. shrug

1 Like

If the Xcarve used true limit switches then what you’re saying would be right. However, the Xcarve uses homing switches which, by default, are only monitored during a homing sequence. GRBL supports hard limits which means a switch trips the alarm but most people just opt for soft limits.