Combining workpieces question

I understand the principle of making several work pieces for a project. My question(s) is how do you “layer” them to fine tune there location in the over all project?

I am not exactly sure I understand you question. What do you mean by “layer” them to fine tune their location?

You can drag work pieces left-to-right or right-to-left if you want to reorder them, and you do not have to cut them in any order.

Can you explain a little more about what exactly you are asking or trying to do?

{:0)

Brandon Parker

Sorry, Brandon, I was afraid I did not explain myself enough. Anyhow, when you open a new project, at the bottom left corner of the screen there is the title of the project and an arrow to open a drop down screen which lets you add more workpieces to your project. That is where my question is. If I add say 4 more workpieces how to I get them together to check for their correct position in the project?

Design with all elements in one workpiece. Pin elements in place where you want them.
Then copy elements to separate work pieces for different cut types. When copied to another workpiece they will keep same location as original.

1 Like

This is true, but there is a caveat with the Copy & Paste method. Sometimes, and not often, the paste action will cause an object to be placed in a position that is not the same as it original X/Y coordinates from the parent workpiece. I have had this occur when working on my laptop with the design window shrunk down fairly small.

A slightly better way is to do exactly as @MarkA.Bachman says regarding creating everything on a single work piece. When you are ready to make new work pieces, hit the upside down caret at the top right of the original work piece and select the “Duplicate” menu option. This will copy the entire work piece to a new one on the far right of all other work pieces. Then all you need to do is Unpin the items you do not need and delete them.

Brandon Parker

Thank you Mark. Great information that i didn’t know.

Thanks Brandon. Between you and Mark I learned a lot and will be making more saw dust in the morning!

1 Like

Make chips not sawdust! If you are making sawdust, you are not going fast enough… :wink:

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.