Connecting Generic z Probe to Arduino controller

OK; I’ll just have to swap the connections, I’ll try that.

Marino

I use a PCB service to make my printed circuit boards. They have a free schematic capture and board layout set of programs.

If you want schematic and layout - download classic.

If you only want schematic you might try “plus”. I haven’t tried it but they say they have made improvements over classic, but you can’t link “plus” schematics to layout yet.

2 Likes

No, the capacitor should be connected directly to SCL, not through the resistor.

Hummm I missed that, maybe that’s why homing went berzek after I switched…will move the capacitor after I feed my hunger…

I think I spoke too soon. Now I’m getting random Alarm1: Hard limits. It seems it happens at Z axis movement.

I haven’t been able to find any detail on the meanings of Alarm states… back to square one?

Marino

1 Like

I don’t recommend hard limits. It doesn’t buy you much.

I would run with homing and soft limits.

Just noticed that we only talked about the probe.

Put the same filter on each homing switch.

1 Like

Had a crazy day at work today, I’m too tired to try and modify the connector board I made… I just remembered, on another project I had to ground together all power sources, do you think that could help?

My setup has 3 power sources, the Arduino (5V), the steppers (19.5V) and the spindle (24V I think) all DC…

You only need to hook the power supply negative returns together if the circuitry they power share a signal connection.

1 Like

LarryM, I am having a noise issue with my probe after building a custom controller based on Phil Johnson’s design. I am clueless when it comes to circuit diagrams. Would you mind posting a picture of the actual filter so I can see how everything is hooked up? It looks like one side of the capacitor is grounded? Is that right? Is it hooked to the same ground the probe feeds back to?

Thank you.

@IainStewart

Here is a pictorial version. For your homemade controller the black wire on the terminal block would go to Gnd on the Arduino and the red wire on the terminal block would go to A5 (Probe). Best to use ceramic capacitors.

Capacitor value 0.01 uF
Resister value 100 ohms

Pictorial_Low_Pass_Filter

1 Like

After some issues I kept getting (false positives) I turned into the design at the bottom of this page: Wiring Limit Switches · gnea/grbl Wiki · GitHub.

Seems like the steppers were inducing noise. By using optocouplers I got rid of them.

I used this option, not wanting to having to deal with yet another power source I only change the connectors as I used terminal blocks on both ends: