Controller disconnects when router turns on... May have a solution?

Why not get one more IOT relay, one for router and one for the dust collector? I originally bought two knowing one wouldn’t handle the load. I ended up going a different route and and scrapped the shop vac and tied into our automated dust collection system instead. Disconnect issues are gone so far…

1 Like

Yea, I’ve though about it but I’m afraid that another one would be kind of a clutter.
I would like to see Inventables come out with one.
I would be all over that.

The only thing I need neat …

1 Like

I disagree, i have to be there to start the machine, and then it does it’s thing until it’s done and will shut the spindle off when finished… Similar to some CNC Mills I’ve used.

And yes previously I have tried moving it with no change.

YES

Yes to both of them.
I’m kinda funny that way.
And I know I will get there too.:wink:

Oh, I don’t disagree with that at all.
With the new control board installed I feel that I’ve had a very successful weekend.
Other than the dust collector issues, the machine perfectly.
I just sent in my report to Inventables.

First off thanks for this thread, I’m getting ready to install a relay, I’m going to build its own outlet to control (2 plugs, one for the router and one for the dust control). I’ve purchased a 30 amp one. Quick question does the 5vdc out of the back of the X-control stay on when carving and then turn off when carve is complete… Sorry for the newbie question, want to get the design portion of it out of the way… Looks like heavy grounding and shielding will be needed… FYI… I’ve had my Xcarve disconnect several times when hitting the e-stop or random static electricity from the vacuum hose. Getting ready to ground the vacuum hose to the house ground. Just my 2 cents…

I just came across this thread. I have been having similar issues with my x-carve. Now I am not using an IOT I have my router plugged in to a triple female end extension cord running to a single outlet. The problem seems to be the same every once in awhile when I go to start my router I drop my connection. I just assumed that I was drawing to much amperage on the cord. I never looked into this to much. I have my laptop, controller and router all plugged into the same plug. I will be rearranging my work area soon and relocating my electric to see if this fixes my issues.

Try plugging into a different port on your laptop. Mine wouldnt work when plugged into a yellow port (ports that continue to supply power when laptop is off)

I’m almost 100% sure it’s an ESD issue, I have an O-scope that I can bring in from work that records. I’ll monitor the 5vdc coming out of the PC and into the Laptop… I’ve done some tests and every time… I run a pretend cut no bit… and suck up a bunch of material while touching the machine it will blast the USB port of the PC or the USB of the Xcarve… I have to either move the USB cord to a different port or restart my mac and or the Xcarve PC… I’ll keep updating this thread… I like using the IOT because it automatically shuts down the router and vac at the same time. Time to shield up all my I/O lines.

Hi, this topic is quite old and I tried reading through the posts and I don’t think I can find a solution to this issue. I also have lost connection problems but I do not use a IOT relay and it seems to happen to me after I run a few jobs on the x carve (maybe like 5-6 operations) then, almost everytime I switch the router off after a carve, the connection is lost and it would sometimes happen when I turn it on at this point. I plug the x-controller and the router on different outlets which are connected to different circuit breakers.
I don’t know if it is related but It seems that this happened after I replaced my laptop and also I upgraded the steppers to 270oz. When I replaced the steppers, I soldered the wires to the stock cables that are supplied by inventables so the portion that come from the steppers are not shielded. can this be a cause of the problem?

I would suggest just swapping around USB cables and ports on the computer. Try adding a powered USB hub if you happen to have one around. When I built my system it ran flawlessly for several several months and then suddenly started dropping connections. Nothing had changed - just started failing. I was using a hub but decided it really wasn’t needed. Pulled it out and swapped to another USB cable and I connected to a different port on the computer. Not sure which one fixed it but it has been running for a year now with not a single drop out.

Hi,
Thanks for your help, I only have 2 USB ports and both give the same result then I tried a powered USB hub and still no change. I will try to change the cable next.