Coolest thing I have seen all week

The AXIDRAW

Watch the video under the first paragraph of text.

This is a very simple looking 2.5 axis machine that is capable of an amazing degree of accuracy. They are selling it for $450 which seems like about $200 more than I would be willing to pay.

I am more interested in the software, it uses a custom extension in Inkscape, but I am not sure if it is using gcode or some other control language (like maybe some type of postscript). Whatever it is, I would sure like to be able to put a pen in the X-Carve and do the same things the AXIDRAW is doing.

Is there any chance at all that this may actually work as advertised? It claims to be a $99 3D printer that uses your existing smart phone to provide the light source for curing a special resin.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/olo3d/olo-the-first-ever-smartphone-3d-printer/description

That is a very good point! What happens when the phone lights up with a phone call or text? Does the text message get written on to what is being printed?

They may not have thought this through very well.

That was my opinion also. Sounds like they want to collect a pile of money, say they tried then never deliver anything.

Kickstarter is so much fun.

I agree that the practical usage of the machine is doubtful. But the technology is even better than I thought.

Now this is nice topographical map (built into a table). It is made by laser cutting the layers and then gluing then together. I am sure it could be done with the X-Carve also.

He will sell you one for $4,000 (seems low for the amount of work he must put into it)
http://www.beatnikprints.com/shop/canyonlands-table

1 Like

It might be cardboard stock since it was laser cut.

Here is the AllForge - A table top injection molding machine that can use plastic or wood molds.

So in theory you can use the X-Carve to make a mold (or a 3D printer), put it in this machine and make 100 plastic parts in just a few hours. Or if you carve an Aluminum mold you can make 10,000 plastic parts in a week.

It is also supposedly able to inject chocolate, or aluminum. You just need an appropriate mold.

The machine is for sale now (pre-order) for $2,500 to $4,000 (price depends on injection material)

It seems like they have a working beta machine. http://www.allforge.org/

1 Like

If anyone is planning to attend the Maker Fair in the Bay Area, I would love to hear what you think about the Shaper Origin
(that is the device at the very top of this thread)

If you saw the video of the new 3D printer from Carbon “pulling” a fully formed complex 3D shape from a resin bowl and was curious about how it worked. Here is a new video from Carbon demoing their new M1 printer and explaining the technology in detail

The video is about 25 minutes long, but is very informative.

2 Likes

Pocket NC

1 Like

Didn’t make it to Maker Fair, but I’m already saving up for the Shaper Origin :thumbsup:

It is not for sale yet, but the cost estimates I have seen say it will be about $1,500. Part of me thinks that is pretty cheap for a radical new piece of technology. But my more rational side screams that is a lot of money for device without a real use case.

I heard Harbor Freight will come out with one soon for 29.95 :grinning:

I’m sure it will be priced high at first. They would be crazy not to take advantage of the early adopters wanting one. 3D printers used to cost $20,000 not to long ago, and now they are available fairly cheap.

I will be buying one of these hand held CNC machines as soon as either the price comes down, or I win the lottery. Either way, can’t wait to get one. Now I’m just waiting for someone to put a camera on a hammer, so I can program it to miss my thumb when I use it…

Found this regarding Maker Fair;

4 Likes

I may need to make a few of these. (Not mine, I found it on the internet)

5 Likes

Has anyone seen this?

https://handibot.com

Some of the videos they have are pretty cool.

Shaper Origin will go on sale tomorrow morning! :+1:

1 Like

Pre-Sale tomorrow.

Price is 1499. I have added it to my list of things to buy in the future. The website has a lot more information added to it now about it.

1 Like

UPDATE:

Rockler to sell the Shaper Origin;