Corner bracket hold down

Bob’s correct. You basically have 2 parking spots 28 and 30. You can set/reset them to any location at any time.

If you want the new locations saved into permanent memory, you must first ‘home’ your machine. Those locations will be retained even after a complete power down. If you want to keep those locations and yet, for the purposes of making new temporary locations, you can do that too. Just don’t home the machine after you power it up. Just jog to a location, issue a G28.1/G30.1. After you jog around awhile and want to go to that location, just enter a G28/30 to go there. Now when you shut down, those temp locations will be lost; all because you didn’t home first.

You can have 2 permanent locations and 2 temp locations at your disposal.

Make sense?

Thanks that’s what I needed to know this will be super handy

@Traxxtar
So you basically I home go straight to jog where I want, set that to g28 then jog to another spot and tag that as g28 shut down and it will save the first location and not the second one ? I know I could use g30 but just as a example is this how it would work?

If you want the new locations saved into permanent memory, you must first ‘home’ your machine. Those locations will be retained even after a complete power down.

How do you go about “homing”? Does it matter whether I have the homing/limit switches?

I’ve gone through the machine setup looking for homing … advanced settings … and scoured this forum and still at a loss where to permanently home the machine.

Please help.

“So you basically I home go straight to jog where I want, set that to g28 then jog to another spot and tag that as g28 shut down and it will save the first location and not the second one ? I know I could use g30 but just as a example is this how it would work?”

No. If you power on, then home, then save a location to G28 or 30. That location will become permanent. Locations are only temporary if you DON’T home first and then set a location to G28 or 30.

NO never purchased the limit switches … was told by another user of XCarve not needed…

so I am assuming you need to have the limit switches to HOME your machine?

I carved a right angle into my waste board to have the bump stop follow but when I put my square on the carved lines they don’t match.

1 Like

No. I gather by reading posts that it either 2 permanent OR 2 temporary locations depending on if the machine was homed first. (someone please correct me)

Joe assuming your assembled machine is square there is compliance in the x axis. It can Skew out of square when the stepper motors are not powered.
A good practice is to square your x axis to the Y before turning g on the power. Once powered it will stay square.

Correct. If you home, then set 28/30, those become permanent and are saved even after shutdown.

I set my 28/30 and after turning off power they didn’t save, any ideas why?.. :slight_smile:

I use one on mine and it’s great. Gives you a good 0,0 to start from.
As for quick? I grabbed two straight bits of oak, drilled holes for the bolts into the wasteboard, spent a while lining them up then lock them down. No carving needed.
You do need to keep in mind a way to hold down the corner on thin material. Perhaps my next one will have a champhor edge…?

@DarrenWeston How did you set them? You should be able to just send a G28.1 to set the current location. You can see the saved parameters by sending $#.

1 Like

Set in the machine inspector, is that right?

Yes. You need to have homing enabled as well…do you have homing switches?

Yes I do… :slight_smile:
I pressed home machine then moved and set G28.1 then moved to G30 position and set that, but when I power off I cannot use the G28/30 commands like they have gone.
Hope that’s right?.

Then home, jog to where want G28 to be, and send G28.1. That will save that position in G28, so when you power off and back on, home, sending G28 will send you back to that same location. If you send $#, it will show you the locations of your G28 & G30.

1 Like

I made one and put it in the projects section.

Keep in mind kids… Using G28 or G30 will move directly to the save coordinates, dragging your bit through any obstacles as it raises/lowers.

Use G28 Z0 first to raise bit to saved height then G28 to move to saved location.

1 Like

As long as we know where our G28 Z0 is. :open_mouth: