Creating a full cut through material with a bevel

hey everyone. so im trying to create a cut that is a 1/4 inch bit through 1/2 inch thick material. id like to then come and cut a bevel to that with a v bit. if you were. looking down the cut “from inside of the cut” it would look like a y. ive attached the project that I want to do this to. any ideas would be great. ive tried to do a second phase of the project where I use a v bit after I cut through but the simulation doesn’t show the through cut and the v cut. thanks everyone

Instead of using squares try using a straight line, it will cut a lot faster and you can get 1/4" cuts. I would use the V bit first to cut the chamfer then use the 1/4" bit to cut through.
Russell

1 Like

so I just use lines using the v bit first and then follow through with my 1/4 inch bit to punch through? so if im understanding this correctly I would need a 1/4 inch v bit, that v bit is 1/2 inch thick. if the line ive cut is 1/4 and I want the tip of the v bit to land on for arguments sake, the left side of the cut…creating a 1/4 inch chamfer, how do I get it to come back down the other side of the initial cut? as far as I see it the end cut would be .75 at the surface level, slope down and then a 1/4 inch deep cut thats a 1/4 inch wide? would I just make the line in easel and tell it to cut outside shape path and then come back with 1/4 up cut and run the same line but on the path? thanks for your time and sorry for any confusion. JC

Yes

That’s ok

The chamfer would be equal on both sides of the slot, if you wanted it on the left side you would have to move the V carved lines over.
This is what I thought you were wanting to do

1 Like

its so close to what im trying to do. thanks. the only clarification im trying to make is the actual “real world” cut. if I have just a line set and the v bit runs down it, the cut will ultimately be a 1/2 inch wide with the 1/4 stabbed through the middle. that makes the left over chamfer only .125 wide. im looking to get the full .25 out of it. kinda like this horrible drawing right here.

ohh. You just need a bigger 90 degree bit. :smiley:
I have the lines spaced 1/2" apart so getting .75" should just be getting the correct depth set with the V bit.
The last page I used rectangles for the V bit and cut them on path to go .25" deep and that should give you the .75" width. It doesn’t show in the preview when using a V bit to cut .25" deep but you could change it to any bit and cut on path and it will work
Russell

1 Like

I’m not going to add much to this conversation, It seems like Russel has got your covered…

BUT I do want to touch on the importance of perfect Z Zeroing and a flat and parallel top surface in order for this to work, due to the nature of the V-bit… If those are off, then your 0.75" gap wont be perfect and the 0.25" bottom wall also won’t be perfect… If these are critical then your going to want to secure the workpiece well to the wasteboard (…using a freshly surfaced wasteboard I might add) AND surface the workpiece flat across the top using the CNC.

If the measurements are just nomimal and “close enough” is okay, then ignore my last paragraph :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh I completely get it. Your point is totally needed. It’s pretty important to get it right. Thanks for the heads up. Board is surfaced but not my stock material. I’m on it. Thanks a bunch

2 Likes

So I just make my line .75 wide and I’m good huh? Sounds rad. Thanks a ton.

2 Likes

Or wait….just a line and get a .75 wide v bit?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.