Crib boards only please

5 Likes

Did you perform any extra smoothing process after the carve? the surface looks amazingly smooth.

Has 3 coats of spray satin poly sanding with 400 grit in between coats, Thanks

8 Likes

wow man, might be an accident, but I LOVE that cut away idea, the cherry makes it like a horizon :slight_smile: Well played

Thx:+1:

So you are doing your peg holes with your xcarve? What size bit are you using? These are gorgeous.

Yes. Check out the Jason McGuinn one that Zach links above and you’ll see. Quite a few good patterns out there, but that one is a nice starter.

Peg holes are usually just 1/8".

I linked earlier to the bit I bought for them:

Easel, unfortunately, doesn’t generate drill toolpaths so you’ll need to make the holes slightly larger or use a different piece of software to generate drilling toolpaths (which are way more efficient, even if you’re pecking).

I made this Cribbage board for a Navy buddy of mine. Walnut and Cherry with felt on the bottom and inside.
This was my first crib board. The 1/8 holes were a little big for the 11’ diameter and some chipped out, but overall it turned out pretty well.

6 Likes

That’s tremendous, Marcus. Love everything about it. Your friend will be amazed.

The circle peg crib design … where is it? Any pointers? Everyone seems to have it. I have tried buying it, googling it, creating it from scratch (sooo much time and it turned out awful)… all with no luck. I keep thinking its for sale on etsy or ebay, but nope.

I believe most of the round crib boards on here were made with vcarve. It’s pretty quick and easy.
See this youtube video…

Thanks. Will have to see about Vcarve. Have only used Easle … which I guess is lacking.

I think Easel now has an option to drill holes along a path.

First attempt at a 2.5d carve. Although not perfect, I’m fairly happy with how it turned out.

10 Likes

I believe that moose is a 3d carve.
I bet you did not design that in Easel.

Vcarve Pro… I called it 2.5d vs 3d because my idea of a 3d carve would be a full model vs just a side profile.

1 Like

Is the VCarve program pretty user friendly? I am thinking about getting one for my school kids to use in my shop class.

Tim

I find it quite user friendly… They have a large number of tutorial videos on YouTube, I’d recommend watching a few.
I also believe you can download a trial version for free.

Wow,it’s wonderful!