Cutting is not level

I have an issue where the top right (if facing the machine) of my machine seems to raise slightly so that the cut depth is not consistent. I can see the spindle raise slightly as it tracks to that area.

So if I set the cut depth to 1/4 it will be closer to 1/8 in that area.

The table and waste board are level. So I’m wondering where on the machine the issue is so that I can fix it.

Attached is video showing the cut depth difference.

1 Like

I see youve said they are level, but thats actually a bad term in the cnc realm, often used out of place. In fact a bubble level has no place on a cnc machine and causes more confusion than it does to identify and fix issues…

The ultimate goal is parallel planes and the best way to achieve this is by surfacing.
In fact the last step in the xcarve assembly manual is this step, surfacing the wastebaord…

Personally, whenever possoble i also prefer to surface my workpiece when depth is critical, like when I’m using vbits. When thats not possibile, I use this workpiece shimming technique, which might help when its applicable…

But for now.i think your issue will be resolved with surfacing the wasteboard…

1 Like

Patrick,

Wow, it sounds like your machine caught a cold; it’s asking you for some TLC.
I would start with your “V” wheels and belts in that order and surfacing your waste board if needed.

Keeping in mind that being off 3mm in 24 inches. possibly you rack your machine or move it recently or even your project material is not properly attached to your waste board. just a thought

While I do agree that routine maintenance including adjusting the vwheel eccentric nuts and properly set belt tension are best practices as well, those are simply not the root cause of Patrick’s depth issues.

this is a fact of the Spindle plane of movement not being parallel to the top of the workpiece.

@PatrickBrennan
Here’s an example of the same type of issue from the shapeoko maintenance page. (exaggerated to make it easy to see the issue)

While one could adjust the frame and get it closer, the only way to get it perfect, is to surface the workpiece, and it’s also a best practice to work off of a surfaced wasteboard as well.

Here’s a common practice when one doesn’t want to cut into the pretty printed lines on the stock X-carve wasteboard.

1 Like

Someone taught me years ago to take your router with a v-bit attached and slide the gantry all the way right or left, lower the spindle slowly on top of a playing card, just to add enough pressure that when you move the gantry toward the other end, it will drag the playing card with it. Get the feel of the amount of pressure at the starting point, and slowly jog the gantry across the wasteboard towards the other side, and see if the pressure/height from the one to the other side is consistent. This proved to me I needed to surface my wasteboard. I use to use the paying card shim game, but it got old, and wasn’t consistent. Surfacing solved my problems.

Also, after watching your videos, that is a pretty large board (a birch plywood?) and I only see 4 clamps holding it down. Are you sure there is sufficient pressure around all areas of your project?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.