Cutting Mother of Pearl?

Sorry - didn’t get a notification on your question. I don’t get wholesale prices, no. If you share your general idea - I might have a few ideas, but in general - it’s an expensive craft (though it’s a wide spectrum). The guitar I built is valued around $3-5k (same wood combination made by Martin would cost about $8k), all of which is somewhat insane, but such is the world of high-end acoustic guitars. I probably spent around $1000-1500 on materials (cocobolo/curly redwood/curly maple binding/premium tuners/etc) - maybe a bit more, but I was going for over-the-top, because I knew I’d keep it forever. Perhaps the cheapest way to build a guitar (especially if it’s your first one) is to start from a Stew Mac kit - this gets you some solid tonewoods and saves some of the more difficult steps, but is still a large and fun undertaking with plenty of room to customize. It’s certainly possible to build on all sorts of budgets - for me, I just knew that I wasn’t going to build a lot of them, so I want each one to be the best I could do. Let me know what you’re planning and I’ll see if I have any suggestions for keeping the cost down.

Here’s a big part of the cost, btw - cocobolo back and sides.

3 Likes