Cutting plexiglass

I was doing a image trace on plexiglass and I could not figure out what was wrong I used a 1/8’’ upcut so it would pull the melted plastic up but as it was running the bit would get plastic stuck on it and it would not cut as well and I would have to pause it and clean the bit does anyone have a suggestions

search for acrylic on this forum. there are plenty of threads about it

1 Like

Single flute. Spindle speed slow. Shallow cut. Move it very fast so the plastic doesn’t melt.

1 Like

Ya, if it’s ‘melting’ you are going to slow. You want ‘chips’ flying out.

Robert is 100% right with this - they cut completely different. Plus the other suggestions, those are good too :slight_smile:

Ive been cutting a bunch of cast acrylic. I used the 1 flute, carbide, upcut.
65 in/min
Spindle speed 1
DOC - .006
Use the exhaust port of my shop vac to blow chips away.

Get really nice results.

1 Like

I have a two flute 1/8" upcut should I go two times as fast as a one flute

Each machine is slightly different. go up in increments. Once it chatters, pull back. try 75IPM. Also - if the ‘plexiglas’ you bought has a plastic protective cover, it’s extruded. Cast will have a paper cover.

1 Like

What do you mean by shatters

You’ll know when it chatters.

I was having some difficulty cutting extruded Plexiglas and damaged 3 cutters in the process. Based on suggestions made by previous posters I used 2000mm/min for the profile speed. Makita spindle speed position 3 (whatever the rpm is) and depth of cut 0.2mm (.008"). Two flute up cutter 1/4" dia. It took a while, 50 circuits to cut 10 mm thk material. Continuous Vacuuming of the profile. Came up with an acceptable finish, and no clumping of molten acrylic. Would probably do even better with a higher feed … 2500 - 3000 mm/min perhaps.