Cutting too deep and broke my bit

I’m just getting started with my PROVer 3018 CNC and Easel Pro.
I did a test run w/ 3/4" birch plywood, and had it pocket cut a shape at a depth of 1/8", but a measurement showed it was a little deeper, perhaps by 1/16", but otherwise it went fine.
I put in a 1/4" piece of walnut, and had it pocket cut a shape at 1/16" deep. It cut 1/8" deep instead, so I told it to stop–and then it did not retract the bit back up–it actually went DEEPER, made a horrible noise, then tried to home itself with the bit still submerged in the material, which of course snapped the bit off, and made a horrible noise when it arrived at the home point.
Also, weirdly, it keeps altering the step distance for manual movement; I have a manual offline controller attached to the CNC, and when I have it set to 1mm, using the controller it will move it 10mm… If I have it set to 0.1 mm it moves it 1mm instead. I have to reset the machine using the manual controller to get it back to normal.
Also gotta love the “Troubleshoot Carve” screen that offers zero help whatsoever!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.