Cutting vinyl record

I’ve used downcut bits successfully. You don’t want the bit to pull up on the material.

1 Like

Just to add, making the thin acrylic stay down I use masking tape and super glue. This ensure a firm bond over the whole surface and it will not lift.

Having said that, I carve a bit of 1.6-2mm acrylic plates myself (not tried LP´s) with a very similar V-bit like Kristian is using and I have no issues at 1500mm (feed and plunge) going 1.1-1,4mm deep per pass.
The two first passes cut through, the third pass goes to full depth and clean up any fuzzy plastic left behind.
My acceleration was 500 for X/Y and 750 for Z (ACME rod direct drive)

Video of mine in action, you´ll notice the Z speed halfway in:

DECREASE in RPMSs. Two good things from this post: UP the inches per minute and clear chips with air.

1 Like

Reading through this thread, I can only imagine how frustrated you must be. I do small, detailed pieces in vinyl, I use a 1/16" bit, two flute, no more (one flute would be better), or 1/8" bit with ONE flute and move as fast as your machine can move with a shallow, shallow DOC. You will need to clear the material from your bit. I used an air compressor, blowing the gunk away as it was cut. Divide the depth of your material (an LP) into ten passes and you should be good. If it starts to gum, stop the job and clean the bit. But it shouldn’t.

1 Like

Earwigger
I read your answer, thx btw,
what did you mean by “move as fast as your machine can”
Did you mean along the surface on the way ?
or the fastest speed on the router

You must use bits for acrylic plastic with 1 flute for best result.
I use these for acrylic:

1 Like

Yippeeeeee
Finally I did it after 8 LP´s failure
I used the 1/16 bit and the recomended settings in easel
It was cutting real fast
I´ll post the picture of them when I get inside my house
Hope all of you don´t mind it

2 Likes

We’re just glad you got it working!

1 Like

Here is the result

9 Likes

Very nice work.
I’m glad you got it to work.

1 Like

me too

I don’t know how I feel. I love the Eurthmics and that was a great album!

Good job all the same!

was.

1 Like

O shit
I didn´t know that
maby I should google all the other records we have

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

I actually did something similar to a Beatles record… Abby Road. It was a gift for a friends father…
The Gift recipient was kind of upset that an Apple label Abby Road album was treated in such a manner, but the album was actually worthless…the B-side had a huge scratch that made it unplayable. and when that was pointed out he felt much better… This wasn’t the best cut album i have done but I was able to clean the edges of this up quite nicely and make it so much more presentable than what this picture shows…

3 Likes

About what ?
the Eurythmics album is worth $70-90 US ?? :grin::grin:

I like that. Very fitting use for it if it was damaged. :+1:

Robert, have you thought about displaying that with the cover somehow? To use up some nice scrap plywood, I did a whole series of memorable (to me) album covers a while back. I used nice 3/8" plywood - they turned out pretty nice.
I don’t have a finished picture with me but here’s what the project looked like:
Just an idea … maybe if you could simulate it sliding out of the cover or something?

@Paul

I have an idea of exactly what you’re talking about. I discussed something similar with the friend I made the piece for. Sadly, the album cover was in pretty sad shape (garage sale find records often are) Our discussion was some sort of frame to mount the clock with sort of a thin shadow box for the album cover…