Dan and Allen's X-Controller Experiences

Very nice work!

Any projected release date window on these items from Inventables?

I’m not exactly confident about what I wired this weekend (Twisted pairs into blocks aren’t the best fit (even with the crimped plugs). LOL

@AllenMassey & @DanBrown

Could you guys share the (default) $110, $111, $112 values used by the X-Controller?

I was reading @SungeunJeon’s documentation on the matter and I made a note to myself to try this experiment once I have everything in place. I guess values will vary from one setup to the other (i.e. due to different router weight), but probably not by much… as long as the NEMA23’s remain the same.

Anyone curious enough to have already tweaked them?

UPDATE:
After reading this thread I am now twice as curious…

I’ll take a look as soon as I get home, Elias. I have not tweaked them at all, myself.

@BartDring

Do you have any update on when the X-Controllers will be ready to start shipping?

Craig

After reading everything here I’m afraid to buy an x carve. I’m afraid I’m not smart enough to use it.

1 Like

Trust me, if I can figure it out, anyone can, Plus with a last name like Massey you must have skills!

2 Likes

HA! This is a great analogy.

2 Likes

It is a great last name.

1 Like

I’ve been watching the videos and reading what I can. I was confident until I started reading on this x controller that’s when the huh set in.

The X-Controller makes things much easier. Easier to assemble and wire, easier to add auxiliary controls, easier to add a touch probe.

I guess the thing that was getting me is the lingo that being used that only those who already have one would understand and myself being new to this just scratching my head. But when I get one I’ll just pick all yall brains.

Don’t worry about it, man. This makes it easier, but pretty much everyone here has already muddled their way through building a stock one. You can do it, no problem. Ask all the questions you need, and you’ll get it built!

@DanBrown

Sorry to bug again, but do you mind sharing a $$ output of the X-Controller?

1 Like

Oh, right! Was going to do that!

Sorry 'bout that, I’ll get it for you this evening and post it up.

Yes. Pick everyone’s brains. All you need to built, configure and run the X-Carve is on both the Inventables Instructions site, their support team, and this forum. Look at how fast everyone jumps on postings, including the Inventables Team. Be patient and don’t get frustrated, and before long you’ll be carving. Every topic you need help with you can search out on the forum.

@CharlesMassey

I am also extremely new to the CNC world. New as in I had never touched one before. I watched endless videos while I was waiting for mine to arrive. When I got it, the instructions provided are great allowing it to go together smooth. My advice would be to take your time and do it very methodically. Most of my “ah ha” moments came while I was attaching connectors and heat shrink to every cable. This resulted in only one problem where a stepper wire came out of my g-shield which was quickly troubleshot by members of the forum (within an hour). After that I was up and running.

Don’t get caught up in all the mumbo jumbo on here you read. A lot of the great folks on here have extensive experience in the field and seem to speak different languages at times. While at first that intimidated me, now I utilize it as an amazing resource library. I’ve not yet come across someone that didn’t take the time to dumb it down for me. Sorry for being long winded but I would hate to see someone miss out on an incredible tool and even more incredible community because of the same reservations I initially had.

As for the x-controller, I think it will only simplify the system further. You can bet following release there will be one driving my machine.

1 Like

Thanks guys I’m going to hold out til the x- controller comes out. So I hope it hurries up.

And got it! Sorry about the delay.

Grbl 1.0b ['$' for help]
$$
$0=10 (step pulse, usec)
$1=255 (step idle delay, msec)
$2=0 (step port invert mask:00000000)
$3=3 (dir port invert mask:00000011)
$4=0 (step enable invert, bool)
$5=0 (limit pins invert, bool)
$6=0 (probe pin invert, bool)
$10=3 (status report mask:00000011)
$11=0.020 (junction deviation, mm)
$12=0.002 (arc tolerance, mm)
$13=0 (report inches, bool)
$20=1 (soft limits, bool)
$21=0 (hard limits, bool)
$22=1 (homing cycle, bool)
$23=3 (homing dir invert mask:00000011)
$24=25.000 (homing feed, mm/min)
$25=750.000 (homing seek, mm/min)
$26=250 (homing debounce, msec)
$27=1.000 (homing pull-off, mm)
$30=1. (rpm max)
$31=0. (rpm min)
$100=40.000 (x, step/mm)
$101=40.000 (y, step/mm)
$102=188.976 (z, step/mm)
$110=8000.000 (x max rate, mm/min)
$111=8000.000 (y max rate, mm/min)
$112=500.000 (z max rate, mm/min)
$120=500.000 (x accel, mm/sec^2)
$121=500.000 (y accel, mm/sec^2)
$122=50.000 (z accel, mm/sec^2)
$130=500.000 (x max travel, mm)
$131=500.000 (y max travel, mm)
$132=100.000 (z max travel, mm)

I realize that my soft limits here are a lot smaller than my working area, I have them reset for the programs I’m running now that take only about 13" square in the lower-left corner.

Thank you, Dan.

This is interesting. These are the same as in the gShield!

gShield uses TI DRV8818 drivers rated at 2.5A peak (theoretical max, with lots of cooling). Stock gShield has none.
X-Controller uses TB6600 drivers rated at 5A peak and carries a brick of a heatsink.

And still GRBL restricts X-Controller’s rapids at gShield levels. This is a blasphemy. A Fiat’s settings were copied inside a Ferrari :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is more like they put a Ferrari engine in a Fiat and had to keep the Fiat settings because it would break the drive shaft of the Fiat to use the Ferrari settings. :wink:

All in all this is still a controller that will most likely retro fit on a lot of machines that have a 24v spindle and no stiffening mods, so it makes sense to ship it defaulted to the max of what the gShield does.