Danners Build Log

Had an issue with the X-Carriage, the holes for the eccentric nuts weren’t completely milled out. Tried to make it work but there was a noticeable “bump” ever revolution. Small but noticeable and I didn’t want it translating into the carves. Just got the new one in and all is good.

Here is a pic of the same issue (just on the z-probe hole) so you get an idea of what I’m talking about. Inventables was prompt in sending out a replacement.

While pulling apart the carriage I went ahead and changed out the screw hardware with my own. The screws supplied by Inventables just weren’t up to par. IE the sizing seems off on most of the M5 screws, only the ball ends of allen wrenches fit with ease. I have a TONNNN of M3-M5 of every size from other builds so I started switching to those as I went through with the blue loctite. I switched some of the button caps to socket caps as well so I could use the 4mm allen to really crank down. Screws for days! Not that anyone wants to see my metric screw collection but I took the pics so /shrug/.

Most of my low profile M5s with precision shims and nylon spacers. Also houses my spare gears, v-wheels and delrin nuts.

M3 collection with button cap, socket, and counter.

M5 collection with button cap and socket (most common sizes I use aside from the low profile ones which I use when assembling wheels or pulleys). Along with a boat load of drop in t-nuts. I love the drop ins.

Some of the hardware changed along with Phills belt clip assembly. These came out pretty good. There is a slight offset to from the belt pulleys to the clips but this could be because of the gears and pulley arrangement. I could shim them out another mm but I don’t think it will be an issue. Belts tension is right at 3.8lbs at 1 inch lift at center of the rails.

I happen to love this color, so along with the corner brackets I’m making some extrusion slot covers for any open slots. Mainly to cover so there’s no shavings to clean out but also because the hide cable easily within the slot which is good for some of the small wiring ill be adding later for some under gantry leds.

Had to barely angle the side board so the y1 stepper would clear the controller. These are dual shaft motors so it was making contact initially with the very edge of the controller. Pretty OCD so I was going to trim the shaft but I really don’t want to drag this build out perfecting absolutely everything and I can’t tell because the adjustment is so small. I couldn’t just move it out a few mm due to the drag chain bracket but look at that clearance!

Few quick garage upgrades.
Waiting for adapters for the dust collector conversion to a 2 stage. Cut a bag down because it’s only there to collect the fine dust and added a switch so I’m not having to reach up to turn it on and off. I’ll probably eventually add a relay but for now a switch is fine.

Also needed to add more lighting, it was just to dark over on that side. The opposite side of the garage has 2 already. When I hung these I switched all of the bulbs from the other set to LED to get rid of the florescent bulbs.

I mentioned being fairly OCD earlier but I must mention… during projects… it only cares about the product, not the work space! lol, so usually when I’m in the zone my work area looks like a disaster.

At this stage, I’m working on the wiring, redoing the ends to JST terminals for the steppers and just finished squaring the machine utilizing the technique mentioned by @PhilJohnson on his X-Carve Tips page. A lot of good info here for anyone starting their build. Thanks for having it up Phil!

That’s it for this update, eager to get it up and running! Hope the build log helps someone down the line.

3 Likes