David Sohlstrom Mods and build log

LOL that’s funny. thanks

Dave

Well My machine arrived with UPS yesterday. The box with the 1800 MS in it had one end crunched so I opened all the boxes to check for damage. All OK.
I brought a few small parts in the house. The MS for the Z axis, 1 V wheel, 1 smooth idler roller and 1 Y axis end plate.

Here in is the problem I found. When I held the V wheel against the MS and held it up to the light I could see a lot of light between the V wheel and the MS. The angle of the V wheel was not 90 degrees.

Today I took all of the V wheels out to the shop and checked every one. Of the 20 V wheels all were off. I got out my good protractor and a gauge that I could set to the angle of the wheels. They very between 87 degrees 20 minutes and 88 degrees 32 minutes.

They all contact the rail just at the very rim of the wheels. I can’t see this as being a good thing.

I’ll check with Inventables on Monday and see what they have to say about the problem.

Dave

Any update on this?

The information I was given was that they did not call out a tolerance on the angle of the wheels so what we get is what we get.

It is my opinion that the angle of the V of the wheel is important to good operation of the machine. I guess that if I want wheels with a much better tolerance on the angle of the V on the wheels then I will need to machine my own wheels. I’m lucky in that I have the equipment to do that.

Dave

Any new updates on this project?

Well I got casters in and mounted to the lift base I will mount my machine on.They give me the ability to lift the base onto the casters for movement and then let the feet back down to the floor when I get it where I want it. The base is from an old computer digitizer that has electric lift and will tilt for storage. Have to mount the rails for the machine.

Also I’ve been refining my Z axis in CAD and hope to start machining soon.

Dave

Update on my build.
I was able to do some test assembly using the V wheels I received with my machine. I still think I am going to machine wheel myself. I’m just finding to meany things about the wheels that I don’t like.
Here are a couple of photos of the machine sitting on my table saw. Need to cut the rails you see under it to the correct length and mount them to the base I’m going to use.

Dave

2 Likes

You turn X-Carve into beast. :heart_eyes:

I think you should reserve the URL www.sohlstrommods.com, just in case you want to set up an online store or something.

1 Like

I don’t have time to even think about trying to sell parts for these machines. After my machine is done I have to get back to work making model Z drives for model tug boats in 1/32 and 1/24 scale. Plus for my tow boat model there will be 2 of these setups.

Dave

2 Likes

sohlstromzdrives.com

Link must be broken, I tried everything, www.sohlstrommods.com, sohlstromzdrivez.com, sohlstromzdrivezmenutz.com. Non of them working.

1 Like

Alan

Earwigger was making suggestions for domain names I could use. None of those web sites exist. I do own the domain ModelMarinePropulsionSystems.com but there presently is not website to go with the domain name.
The build thread for the Z drives is Here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1485490&page=10

It has not been updated in some time as I was busy for over 2 years building engines and installing them here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1497645

Go to the last few pages to see the finished engines install and testing.

Dave

I know he is funny, I didn’t even try it, just joking. But hey thanks for the links.

No problem

Very impressive work on the RC engines and builds. Mad respect!

I was able to transfer the machine from my table saw to the lift base it will live on. I put some temp cross rails under the machine so I could get the cross rails out and cut to length and drill the holes to mount them to the lift base. Then I rigged a lift system to lift the machine about 2" off the table saw. Removed the long rails and clamped them to the cross rails on the lift base. Rolled the table saw out from under the machine and rolled the lift base in. Plugged in the lift base and raised to to the machine then released the winch that I used to lift the machine off the table saw.
No photo of the change over just a couple with the machine on the lift base with temp clamps. Have to figure the holes for bolts to secure the long rails to the cross rails.
also got the piece of PVC foam board 25mm thick fitted. Need to build a jig to route the slots for the hold down bolts.

Dave

2 Likes

It’s very professional. I’m watching over your shoulder. I wish you’re close by then I can help you. How did you lift that thing from saw table to there.?

I have some hooks that I can clamp onto the roof joist of the shop. then pulleys hooked to those. then I rigged my portable 1000 pound winch. Rigged a tail hold for the winch and then just lifted the machine a couple of inches off the table saw. Saw is on wheels so just roll it out and the base in. Then lift the base up to the machine and clamp it all down temp.

Dave

1 Like

Just curious, what do you think your all in end cost will be on it?