David Sohlstrom Mods and build log

Update on my build.
I was able to do some test assembly using the V wheels I received with my machine. I still think I am going to machine wheel myself. I’m just finding to meany things about the wheels that I don’t like.
Here are a couple of photos of the machine sitting on my table saw. Need to cut the rails you see under it to the correct length and mount them to the base I’m going to use.

Dave

2 Likes

You turn X-Carve into beast. :heart_eyes:

I think you should reserve the URL www.sohlstrommods.com, just in case you want to set up an online store or something.

1 Like

I don’t have time to even think about trying to sell parts for these machines. After my machine is done I have to get back to work making model Z drives for model tug boats in 1/32 and 1/24 scale. Plus for my tow boat model there will be 2 of these setups.

Dave

2 Likes

sohlstromzdrives.com

Link must be broken, I tried everything, www.sohlstrommods.com, sohlstromzdrivez.com, sohlstromzdrivezmenutz.com. Non of them working.

1 Like

Alan

Earwigger was making suggestions for domain names I could use. None of those web sites exist. I do own the domain ModelMarinePropulsionSystems.com but there presently is not website to go with the domain name.
The build thread for the Z drives is Here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1485490&page=10

It has not been updated in some time as I was busy for over 2 years building engines and installing them here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1497645

Go to the last few pages to see the finished engines install and testing.

Dave

I know he is funny, I didn’t even try it, just joking. But hey thanks for the links.

No problem

Very impressive work on the RC engines and builds. Mad respect!

I was able to transfer the machine from my table saw to the lift base it will live on. I put some temp cross rails under the machine so I could get the cross rails out and cut to length and drill the holes to mount them to the lift base. Then I rigged a lift system to lift the machine about 2" off the table saw. Removed the long rails and clamped them to the cross rails on the lift base. Rolled the table saw out from under the machine and rolled the lift base in. Plugged in the lift base and raised to to the machine then released the winch that I used to lift the machine off the table saw.
No photo of the change over just a couple with the machine on the lift base with temp clamps. Have to figure the holes for bolts to secure the long rails to the cross rails.
also got the piece of PVC foam board 25mm thick fitted. Need to build a jig to route the slots for the hold down bolts.

Dave

2 Likes

It’s very professional. I’m watching over your shoulder. I wish you’re close by then I can help you. How did you lift that thing from saw table to there.?

I have some hooks that I can clamp onto the roof joist of the shop. then pulleys hooked to those. then I rigged my portable 1000 pound winch. Rigged a tail hold for the winch and then just lifted the machine a couple of inches off the table saw. Saw is on wheels so just roll it out and the base in. Then lift the base up to the machine and clamp it all down temp.

Dave

1 Like

Just curious, what do you think your all in end cost will be on it?

I would guess less than 2k. Lift base was free. computer I will run it with was free. LinuxCNC is free. I had the 280 oz stepper motors and the Gecko G540. Parts from Inventables was just over 1k. PVC foam board was 277.00 with extra material left over from the cuts. Casters on base 70.00. I can lower the base to the ground when I am using the machine and then raise it back up on the casters and tilt the top over for storage when not in use.
I bought a 10mm ball screw for my new Z axis that cost 100. I’ve had the ridgid 2400 trim router that I am going to machine a base for. I’ll use that until I can design and build a custom spindle with draw bar for quick tool changes.
I have 110mm from work surface to the bottom of the carrage. 4.375"

I spent 50.00 for Alu .1875" thick 4" wide and 4’ long and a piece 1/4 thick 2" wide 4’ long these will be machined to make a T spline between the duel MS for the gantry. spline will just clear the carrage top and bottom with the T on the bottom. Photos to follow when it is built.

Long winded answer to a simple question.

Dave

1 Like

I’ll take all those FREE stuff, you keep the rest. :slight_smile:

Tell you what Alan. I need the lift base and the computer but you can have a copy of LinuxCNC. :smile:

Dave

No thanks, I’ll pass. I was very much married couple with Linux Machinery for more than enough. I buried’em to back yard.

I got the long rails bolted down to the cross rails today. Looking at things I see a little sag between the long rails that I think I can add a cable truss on each end and a couple of braces from the cross rails up to the center 20X40 rail.
Here are a couple of photos with the machine in storage mode. I have to lay it over like this because horizontal surfaces in my shop are magnets for stuff and will fill up faster than I can type.

Dave

dat tilt