Dead Dewalt 611

I think that may have been my problem there. It came preset to 6 so that’s where it’s stayed through all of my carves. Nobody gave me any insight as to where to set it when I started with it. I’m hoping I can get keep this issue at bay by turning the speed way down on my new one

Another vote for the Makita RT700/1, it is very reliable, inexpensive, has more speed range and IMO better built. I have not had a Makita hand tool die on me but I’ve had several Dewalt hand tool that were fried after a bit of heavy use.

1 Like

It might be good to keep at set (one pair) of replacement brushes on hand, Amazon have them.

Well, it seems like my brushes just burned up. I’m only about 3 projects in. I’m working on a prototype and had intentions on buying 3 more xcarves within the next 2 months, but now I’m starting to second guess whether i need to change all together. I had a friend who runs a cabinet business adjust mine for the right chip count to save on wear and tear. I was running less than half the speed. Definitely expected more out of Dewalt, but I’m not surprised

1 Like

Run your router on 1, anything higher will just wear out brushes faster. You should get around 150 hours out of your brushes.

1 Like

For business use I’d recommend you to look at a dedicated VFD spindle setup, water cooled. VFD spindles are brushless and have no wear except bearings - but those should last a loooong time with appropriate use.

For a frame like the Xcarve you wont need more than a 800W spindle.