Definitive X-Carve Setup Guide

Hi everyone, so first I’ll ask the question, is there a definitive X-Carve setup guide? What I mean is, a guide that shows the details of how to setup your X-carve from squaring the machine, calibrating the pots, calibrating the steps per mm, tensioning the belts, tightening the set screws, etc. all listed together and in the order you should do them?

If not, I’d be willing to set one up with everyone’s help from the forum. Or, is that unnecessary? For me I’d just like to have everything listed in one place for reference… but that may just be me.

I’ve seen a lot of great information listed over and over and over again with a lot of links to a lot of different locations with lots of great and valuable information.

What do you guys think? If you guys like the idea we can team up. If you don’t I’ll just drop it. =)

Oh, and if we do this, what format should I use? Like a Google docs thing or a wiki page of sorts or something else? The important thing is that we can all contribute and help organize it. I’ll help moderate it at first but may need help from others depending on how big the thing gets.

Like this?

Yes, it would be great to have a format similar to or exactly like that but I don’t know how the community could contribute.

If you mean “like this” for the information provided, yes and no… the Inventables instructions are a good start but they only go so far. For instance, reading through the instructions for the “Work Area”, I don’t see any information on how to square the machine from the bottom up like Phil’s guide found here: Phil's help documents and Tutorials - #187

If I was doing this I would also make sure that there was a downloadable version in PDF form so that you could print what you need and have a “hard copy” in hand as you follow along.

I also believe that this would help a lot of new users that struggle with some of the concepts, I would also explain why certain steps are needed or done in sequence so that the new users could hopefully understand why they are doing what they are doing. that seems to help most.

1 Like

Did you see the blue box labeled “contribute to these instructions” on the Inventables page? They’re in github so you’d do a fork, make enhancements, then file a pull request.

1 Like

And don’t forget the “pluck it like a bass string” part… That’s useless.

2 Likes

No, I didn’t see that… I see it now though. Thanks

That I find that particular instruction useless? Yes. If you know what a bass string feels and sounds like great… Except which string? And it’s pretty safe to say that most people don’t know. Would it have been that hard for the engineers to come up with a reasonably repeatable, non-subjective standard for belt tension?

Don’t get me wrong, for the price this is an awesome machine, but a hard number, or a small range of numbers vs a totally subjective thing that most people won’t know is too much to ask for?

Electric bass, acoustic bass, 5 string, 6 string, 10 string, Fender, Gibson, Yamaha, Short Scale? They are all different.

you need to “slap da bass mon” !

In all seriousness, this would be epic.
Especially if it included calculations for common configurations - Settings for the lead screw - #5

This does sound like the all-in-one software @ABearDesign was going on about a few months ago… Maybe that should be a thing…