Destiny Auto Rifle

@SeanKeplinger

That’s a cool resource! You can even use a Ctrl+F search on it if you open up the select box first. For example, if you just search “greaves”, you won’t find anything, but click on the down arrow in the select box and 68 “greaves” show up.

Thanks,

Chris

The rectilinear weapons are cool enough, but what is even better are the more organic shapes like the Thorn hand cannon that would be pretty difficult to make by hand symmetrically…

Chris

I’ve sold a ton of “low detail” Vex Mythoclasts which have a somewhat organic shape to them. I haven’t tried a “high detail” version of it.

Hey @SeanKeplinger do you have any interest in doing a Tip Jar bounty to post one of these props as a project?

Zach

1 Like

@Zach_Kaplan Sounds like a fun challenge! So…what does it entail?

Here’s the explanation of the Tip Jar program. In summary post a proposed project in the Tip Jar category. If you get a lot of interest I’ll post a $500 bounty and you can claim it. In exchange you post all the files, pictures, and instructions bonus points for a video.

Here’s an example iPhone case that @sketch42 recently did. This is over the top by @SteveCarmichael but check out this guitar.

Basically we’re trying to get some really awesome projects out there in the community to inspire folks and get them started. In addition we are trying to support our community by pushing back some cash into the hands of talented makers.

We haven’t had a lot of props yet but I’ve seen a TON of interest in making props.

3 Likes

Ok cool, let me pick a decent model. Should I focus on parts that can be made on the 500mm X-Carve?

Thanks for the shoutout @Zach_Kaplan :+1::grinning:

I’d love to see a prop project that inspires. @SeanKeplinger will probably come up with something pretty nice. Looking forward to it!

1 Like

Yikes, no pressure!

I saw a vote for an Aliens Pulse Rifle – any other requests?

1 Like

Maybe this one?

4 Likes

If you can pull that off, then… Yes Please! Talk about inspiring.

:ok_hand::smiley:

1 Like

If you have the time @SeanKeplinger I would love to see a full design in the Tip Jar as Zach has invited.

I think it’s safe to say everyone would be happy with any design you come up with. I think it’s important that it can be made on both the 500mm and 1000mm X-Carve.

As for the Aliens pulse rifle, it would fairly easy to make a small display and controller that ran down off a trigger button.

Cheers

Ian

I suppose off of the thread, another rifle design perhaps?

For me, I’ll be stuck using sign making programs to make a lot of my projects. I’ll figure out how to manage I’m sure xD

But the depth gauge sounds like a great reference to have.

I’ll consider your other suggestions as I continue to lay it out in my free time. Thanks!

If people really want it to be made on the 500mm version of the X-Carve, you’re probably going to be better off making a pistol, since that limits you to a working space of 12"x12".

@SeanKeplinger

Dude, I say go for it! Would love to see a real techy weapon tutorial. I don’t know what the mix is between 500mm units vs. 1000mm units, but unless you’re going to make Han Solo’s pistol or something like that, a decent sized rifle would be very cool. I think the Aliens pulse rifle is a bit old-school and simplistic and it’s been done to death. If you want to show the process, I think something with more detail like the one above would be perfect.

My thoughts are that as much of the work should be done in Easel as possible to showcase the current abilities of the software. It may be more difficult to wrestle the shapes in Easel than in other programs that are currently more suited for a project of this magnitude, but it’ll be a nice feather in Inventables’ hat once it’s done and Zach is absolutely right that the Projects section needs an entire gallery of butt-kicking stuff that pushes people off the fence to buy.

Another thing to consider is if you’d be willing to upload the Easel files for everyone when you’re done. Since it appears you’re going to be nicely compensated for your efforts, it might be very cool if anyone could fire up the file(s) in Easel and cut one out. Just my $0.02…

Thanks,

Chris

P.S. Yes, the depth gauge would be a great tool to share!

P.P.S. For the folks that have the 500mm^2 machine, maybe the longer rifle parts can be “tiled” or “sistered” during the glue-up. I’m working on an analog cheat for tiling that may be applied to any workpiece that’s longer than your bed for my torsion box project.

this is awesome! id totally love to have a pulse rifle

If it’s built up from sections then having a 500mm machine shouldn’t be a problem as long as the largest section is no more than, I think, 290mm.

1 Like

Yes please, I think that’s so cool!!!

Wow I just visited the http://www.destinystlgenerator.com/ page and the STL files they have are very impressive.

I just picked a rifle at random and loaded the STL file into Vcarve Desktop, scaled it to fit on its side with the centerline of the rifle halfway down in a piece of .75 inch MDF and clicked the button to make both sides.

Vcarve then can make a really nice 3D toolpath to cutout both sides of the gun. I did need to create an outside vector for the profile cut around the gun.

Way more fun than making a sign!

This weekend I will try and carve it.

3 Likes