Destiny Auto Rifle

Wow I just visited the http://www.destinystlgenerator.com/ page and the STL files they have are very impressive.

I just picked a rifle at random and loaded the STL file into Vcarve Desktop, scaled it to fit on its side with the centerline of the rifle halfway down in a piece of .75 inch MDF and clicked the button to make both sides.

Vcarve then can make a really nice 3D toolpath to cutout both sides of the gun. I did need to create an outside vector for the profile cut around the gun.

Way more fun than making a sign!

This weekend I will try and carve it.

3 Likes

I tried opening the files and it came up with Invalid Public Key Security Object File.

“This file is invalid for use as the folllowing: Certificate Trust List.”

I’m not sure if I need a certain program to open it or not D: Not familiar with that file type

@ChristopherALopez, the files are STL format which are 3D files. You can download Google Sketchup and import to view them.

Sketchup doesnt seem to do the trick. I’ll have to figure something else out

Look into AutoDesk’s (free) Meshmixer, I think it will be able to open STL files for you:

http://www.meshmixer.com/download.html

Or perhaps one of their 123D products would work:

Whoops, I forgot that you had to download the plug-in for SketchUp:

Go to Window->Extension Warehouse

Search for “SketchUp STL”

Click Download

I just wanted to caution those who don’t know… regarding the use of MDF… the dust created by machining MDF is ultra-fine and goes deep into the lungs. It is one of the most carcinogenic dusts you could inhale. Also, my ability to hear high frequencies is shot from years of using saber saws, routers and table saws without ear protection. I wear ear muffs now but it’s too late for the damage already done. Protect yourself accordingly and please don’t take this advice lightly.

@MichaelRagonese, I can’t agree more. Always wear eye and ear protection while working in the shop. When sanding, wear a good dust mask or respirator. MDF is a necessary evil when building props so be careful!

Couldn’t agree more!! I am scheduled to go to an audiologist for an exam so I can get hearing aids. I’m only 55! Heed the advice!

Hope all goes well Dennis!! I’ve noticed my ears aren’t the same after my last stint in the studio, what with that, and my failing eyesight…:smile:

You’ve probably seen this already but, I made one of these (just innards) using a 6 axis accelerameter in a helmet that triggered the servos to move the shoulder mounted cannon. This was a few years ago and it appears that there are many cooler options out there from which to base your innards: Developing An Animatronics Platform | Hackaday

I’m with @IanWatkins. Suck at design but can do the electronics!

2 Likes