Detail pass deeper than Roughing

OK, I’m at a loss here (I’ve already checked the forums). Detail pass is going about 1/16 inch deeper around the edges. Color photo is using the Z-probe and the unpainted is using my eye. What is going on here?
1/4" Roughing
1/8" Detail
This is for ocean floor maps. The depths are pockets being carved out (3/16", 1/8", 1/16" depths). When the 1/8" pass is being run, it just goes deeper.

Did you set z zero for the 2nd bit?

Are you sure the z travel isn’t bottoming or topping out for either of the toolpaths?

I did Z-probe for both bits and eyeing my Z on the surface for the second attempt. Both attempts are off about the same amount, approx. 1/16". I’ll change to the 1/8" after the roughing, either Z or by eye and it still happens. I’ll even use a piece of paper for the eyeing part since I don’t have any feeler gauges at the moment. It’s like the machine/software sees the edges as something to dig down further when it’s should just be edging the more detailed parts while keep the depth they’re all set to.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.