DeWalt 611 Non-destruct Automatic Spindle Control

Why doesn’t Amazon like you?

Because I’m Canadian LOL

1 Like

I could take a pic tonight, but scrolling back through this thread, the picture here looks correct to me, the black wire of the yellow/black pair goes to the ground on the right side of the g-shield and the yellow wire goes into the connected on the front just as it is specified in the original x-carve instructions.

You will have to set the spindle RPM in Easel, otherwise it will look like things aren’t working.
Exactly where you set the speed has changed over the last few months, going from memory, under machine you choose automatic spindle control, but instead of choosing the Dewalt 611 as your spindle, choose Other. Then you’ll get a place to enter the spindle RPM desired, I just put in 20000, it doesn’t really matter what you put, as long as it is high enough that the output voltage to the relay is enough to trip it.

Hope that helps,
Kelly

1 Like

very interssting topic here i like to that my Dewalt start autom… but i am for sweden so i need that thing from Amazone for 230V and european connector.

Yes, although I can’t confirm the pin 11 at the moment, but it’s the same as the original instructions for the 24v spindle.
-Kelly

1 Like

If you’re looking for photo of the wiring here’s how I did it. Sorry for potato quality

Phil,
I pulled the fan off and can confirm that my yellow line is on g-shield pin D10. I’m running firmware v.09j, and the spindle control works fine with my Dewalt 611, as long as the spindle RPM in Easel is set to 18000 or above.

As far as how/why they moved the pin, as I understand it the arduino is pretty flexible and the firmware can remap the pins as it likes. I’m guessing that they wanted to use the header pin for another signal, rather than “wasting” it on a ground, when there are already several places that a good ground can be obtained.

-Kelly

1 Like

Phil, I don’t think it makes much difference in this application where you pick up ground.

1 Like

Mine is going into the ground on the side, with the fan, IIRC that’s also where the limit switches go to ground, I’ve seen different posts from different folks mentioning getting ground from various different places, but I don’t think it should matter too much.

-Kelly

1 Like

I have 2 questions: i have a dewalt611

1. Does this system work well also with easel?

2. Is there a way to also adjust the Speed automatically from easel? Or, using the dewalt, this has to be done manually always?

Ufff. Not happening then haha :).

Thanks for your answer!

So, has anyone done this mod with 611 and the X-controller? Maybe a simple diagram to hook up the 611 to the relay and to the x-controller? I’m ready to hook up the 611, but want to make sure I get the right parts for this mod.

1 Like

I was going to test loading the Edge release v1.0c firmware into the stock controller and then using the relay, but I got my X-Controller upgrade before I got around to it. However I have tested it with the X-Controller and set max rpm to zero, and it worked perfectly. I even have the relay module plugged into my Festool dust collector (which switches on when it sees current on its outlet) so both Dewalt router and dust collection go on/off automatically. Using a 3D printed dust boot I’m mostly a happy camper.

That’s awesome and just what I was looking for. So now the only hang up for me is hooking up the relay to the controller.

That’s not much of a hangup, you just need a two conductor wire (at least a few feet long is good), and use the screw connectors - minus to ground. Easy.

Here is the wiring on the back of the xcontroller. Only other change was setting spindle control to auto. That was it for me. Works great.

Perfect! Now if I was not at work, that little darlin would be hooked up and runnin! Thanks!

hi Jeremy I just got one and was wondering what I do now I wired it in and plugged the router in. I am not sure what to to after this. Is there any configuration to Easel?

In Easel, click on the Machine menu, then set Spindle Control to Automatic.

Yeah. 12A max. My ShopVac say 7.9A and the Dewalt says 7A. The relay controls the Dewalt. Then my ShopVac is on a separate wireless remote controlled receptacle. I like to turn the ShopVac on and off as I need it.