Dewalt 611 upgrade

Okay so I went to the expense of upgrading my X-Carve to the Dewalt 611 because literally every video example I’ve seen gave me the impression I needed to do so. Now I’m learning that I’m going to be burning wood and dulling bits because it won’t go slow enough. So my question is: What do I do? Is there a way or device to control the 611 speed other than with the wheel and will it burn up the 611 if I do? I’m a wood instrument builder, doing inlays, making jigs, etc. Hope possibly to be able to engrave on metal and maybe cut aluminum in the future as well. Thanks in advance.

The Makita 701 has a lower RPM range than the DeWalt and will fit the DeWalt mount with a shim. The Makita is spec’d at 10000 to 30000 but mine would go down to 8600 straight out of the box.

Also google SuperPID.

1 Like

People are doing awesome carves with the Dewalt611 so it isn’t all black or white. I do use the Makita myself, but that is because it is easier to find in Europe that the 611.

Good quality 1F and 2F bits will work very well with 16k RPM and up, so I wouldn’t worry much.
I run a 6mm 1F bit in alu with mine @ 18k RPM and it sings :slight_smile:

Getting the feed rate / tool strategy right is the key :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have had the 611 on my xcarve for a few years now still love it. Here is a short list of what I have cut with it
soft woods
hard woods
plywood
mdf
bamboo
abs
pet
hdpe
ldpe
pvc
acrylic
coran
carbon fiber plate
fiberglass
brass
aluminum
brass
mild steel
high carbon steel
copper
tin
silver
marble stone
slate
glass
Most issues I have had was learning the proper settings for the material. Good bits get good results also.