DeWalt DWP611 Spindle

Here is the list I got from support:
Dual Bearing V-Wheel Kit 25203-04 X4
Button Head Cap Screw M5X35mm 25286-06 X1 pack of 10
Button Head Cap Screw M5X10mm 25286-01 X1 pack of 10 (attaches the plate to the delrin nut, and could be reused from the original spindle plate)
Nylon Insert Lock Nut M5 30265-01 X1 pack of 10
Eccentric Nut 30158-01 X4
Aluminum Spacers 25312-15 X1 pack of 10

2 Likes

Thank you sir.

1 Like

Here is a video to show it in action. I still need to route the wiring properly and please ignore the tv noise in the background. The design is a 44" cabinet door, VID_20150718_203735.mp4 (9.4 MB) this one is the sacrificial DW611 test piece. This is my first attempt at tiling the cuts as well.

1 Like

Holly Speed Demon Batman! I would have never thought that kind of speed would be possible with the X Carve. Just out of curiosity, do you remember what type of bit, depth of cut, and speed you were running there?

I am using a 1/4" end mill with a Feedrate of 270, plunge at 130 and the RPM at 16000. I just hope that turning up the voltage on the pots does not cause me a shorter life on the motors. They don’t seem to be getting warm so hopefully not.

1 Like

I assume you are using the NEMA 23 steppers. From what I have read about adjusting the pots, You should be good if you followed the directions.

Basically the directions for setting them tells you to turn them down while making a long x or y movement until they get jerky (indicating the voltage is too low). Then mark the pot with a dot for reference. Then do the same only adjusting the pot higher until it gets jerky again (indicating thermal overload). Mark the pot again for referencing the high side. Finally, set the pot somewhere in between the high and low marks. I put mine in the middle and haven’t had any problems.

Before doing this I was loosing a few steps on the x position after a 20 job. I discovered this loss when I would issue a return to zero command after finishing and noticed that the y and z were perfect but the x was short by about 1/16". After adjusting the pots, all three axis are returning to perfect zero every time now.

Yes I had the same problem previously before too and did as you outlined. This time I just nudged them up a little bit and retried the same gcode until it stopped losing steps. It only took about 2 or 3 degrees so I am somewhat confident that it will be ok. I am using the stock standard 23 steppers that came with the xcarve.

oh thats exciting! i received my dw611 from amazon yesterday now just waiting for the mount from inventables.

I’m playing the waiting game as well, have the DeWalt sitting next to the X-Carve, just need UPS to hand me the mount! With my spindle doing odd things, I’m really looking forward to having it on there. V-carving is going to be even more awesome!

Will the NEMA 17’s on X and Y axis be able to keep up with the 611?

I think Charley is busy, I have already sourced for My Dewalt. Stepper motors have no affect on Dewalt weight.
In other hand, it is sagging the head down a little. I had to insert 0.03" shim between X carriage and axis maker slide by releasing those two bolts attached to insert nuts. You machine is 500, might tolerate the weigh better. Answer is No, Steppers have no problem. (Unless you run 150 IPM on half an inch dept.)

2 Likes

Got my shipment today, The 611 mount has minor dings as noted above but the X Carriage had some pretty sharp cuts on it that I didn’t notice until it sliced my finger pretty good. The Gantry Side plate bag has a hole rubbed in it with some missing paint so I suspect this all happened in shipping tho I must say there was enough bubble wrap in here to keep my kid busy for hours.

Man, those are some VICIOUS burrs right there!

My mount is supposed to be here today… Yippee!

3 Likes

The Dewalt upgrade is completed and boy oh boy is it worth the $ and time. I am uploading a you tube video right now and will post it here as soon as it goes live. In the video are some pics during the upgrade and video of the beast in action.

The video only shows my first cut with it. Well actually my second. The first was at .005" just to insure that I had a perfectly flat surface to start the test cut on. The test cut was with a 1/4" 2 flute down cut bit that I bought from Lowes. It is really too long for a CNC and with the stock mount it didn’t like it much. Got way too much wobble or run out with it to be useful.

With the Dewalt upgrade, all that is in the past. My first test cut was only 1/16 inch deep in particle board but at 150 inches per minute. It didn’t even break a sweat. No telling how deep and fast it will really go.

Stay tuned, the video will be up shortly…

Ok, here’s the video. After the video, I strapped down a chunk of 6061 aluminum for a quick test. Well, lets just say I was not disanointed.

Using the same 1/4" bit I bought at Lowe’s, I made a couple of test passes. My first cut was .03" depth at 35 ipm right through the middle of the aluminum. Result was not bad at all. My second cut was .02" at 50 ipm. Nice smooth result with decent chips.

Got some tweaking to do with aluminum but I am certain now that it will work far better than the stock x carve. Keep in mind that I also added the 3/16" steel spline between the x rails to prevent twisting. That helped the stock spindle a lot but the addition of the Dewalt jumped the performance of my 1000mm machine immensely. You guys just gotta do this!!

7 Likes

Very nice. My Dewalt should be showing up today, so I’m going to try to upgrade this weekend. I assumed it was just a drop-in procedure, thanks for making this video to show all the steps.

I was also impressed with how clean your cut was, given the “stick out” length of the bit. I guess I’ve just gotten used to the 1/8" collet on the default spindle, I imagine moving up to a 1/4" collet gives you a lot more stability.

Yes that bit does have a lot of length to it. It was readily available at Lowe’s so I thought I would give it a try. It even cuts aluminum with decent results but I believe a shorter specialty bit made for aluminum will give much better results and much quicker as well. The upgrade to the Dewalt spindle doesn’t take very long. You could probably do in in about an hour an taking you time.

got my dw611, inventables mount, picked up some 3/16 steel from lowes last night and should have 1/8 collets and new belts today in the mail

im hoping this weekend ill finally be able to make some stuff after fighting this thing for 2 months

The 611 does allow for faster feed rates. (Obviously depends on what medium you are cutting of course)

1/8" 2 flute (1/4" shaft) 1575mm/min. External Drivers (ST-5045s) NEMA 23’s (400oz-in).