Difficult to move carriage manually

So I’m in the middle of my assembly and I’m not sure how hard it should be to move the gantry around. One y-axis motor shaft turns very freely and one is so stiff it makes the belt slip when I try to move it. Z-axis and x-axis motors are kind of in between. I don’t want to tear my belts up but I need to be able to manually move the gantry back and forth to assemble. Also it is definitely the motor shaft causing the resistance and not the wheels or anything.

1 Like

I had a similar problem. As best I can tell from other conversation here, you might have accidentally connected (shorted) a couple of the wires and then moved the motor. Problem should go away when you hook the motors up to your controller. If it doesn’t go away, after you’ve assembled your X-Carve, you’ll know every piece of it and probably even want to disassemble it to change a couple things. Not very difficult at that point :smile:.

1 Like

Thanks Brad, that sounds like what’s happening. I will see if it works better once I hook it up.

1 Like

I came across the same issue in my assembly. If the red/white or black/green wires for a motor are shorted, then there is resistance to moving. Doesn’t seem that it will cause any damage as shorting the wires is the method used in the 2015 instructions to determine which axis a set of wires belongs to - X-Carve Instructions: Electronics.