DIRESTA Wood Stool

Sistering the stretchers was brilliant! As was the wedges and wood filling the keyholes. Very inspiring. What about a contest for stuff you can make entirely in one 31" square? Hmmm…:sunglasses:

1 Like

Zach, you have no idea how jealous I am. Being able to be in the shop with Jimmy and to teach AND learn at the same time? Priceless…

As for the contest suggestion, if there was a contest and Inventables wants non-Inventables prizes, I’d be willing to throw a Manhattan Wood Project cup/cap combo in as a prize. May be better to make it a contest open to all woodworkers though, CNC or not, and have a special X-Carve category. That way there would be a LOT more awesome entries.

Speaking of contests, there’s a YouTube woodworker wooden game contest with a due date of July 8. I’m using the X-Carve to make a (TOP SECRET) game for my entry, and would love to see more X-Carve entries. YouTube Woodworking Contests | Facebook

1 Like

How about this:

If anyone hearts and then remakes this stool and posts their remake by July 1st they will get a $100 gift card to Inventables.

9 Likes

Remake? Make again, or make it different?

I was thinking that a Limbert tabouret table with similar construction techniques would be pretty cool…:sunglasses:

1 Like

@JosephCompton it’s really up to you. Both approaches qualify as a remake. You can do an exact replica or you can make some modifications to make it your own. You need to post it as a remake project at the bottom of the original project. Screen shot below of where to add it on the project page.

@MidnightMaker that would be a cool version.

2 Likes

Right on, thanks Zack.

I would like to do something with solid wood: maple or walnut or maybe a mix–we’ll see what I time for.

if i had 1000x1000 i’d totally do it.

Yea changing materials is a great remake.

I think my daughter might need a stool, going to have to get to work!

@DonaldLeblanc gets the first gift card!

4 Likes

Very nice @DonaldLeblanc! Quick turn-around. The homage to Jimmy is a nice touch. Here’s his version to save you from going over to the Projects page (not mine):

2 Likes

On my Limbert tabouret version, I’m not going to have the keys protrude through the top of the seat. They’ll be 1/2" deep and still register the location and add strength.

@JosephCompton, I’ll make the prototype out of ply, but once it’s good to go, I’ll be able to make it out of QSWO like I do everything else for around the house!

2 Likes

I’m interested in seeing what you come up with. I didn’t want the tabs sticking through either, so I was going to use a thicker piece for the top. I was actually thinking of making a smaller square design that would actually be more useful to my kids, but I’m not sure how much time I’m actually going to be able to put into this.

What if you just didn’t go all the way through with the rectangular holes. Imagine if they were pockets that the tabs slid into but the top of the stool was flush.

2 Likes

is that for every entry a gift card or is it a limited number?

I just upgraded my machine pretty extensively (X stiffening, new Z, LED lighting, dust covers, Y supports, mechanical/electrical fixes,…) and I think this could make a fine first project to test it out

also, i’d like to modify it a bit, but is there a way to get the original SVGs, since Easel doesn’t show me an export button.

Seems like an easily added and extremely useful feature.

Thank you very much! Zach just notified me about the gift card and it was a very welcome surprise!

Thank you very much sir! This was a very welcome surprise!

Yeah, that was my thought, just make it a pocket cut.