Disappointed with 2.8w JTech Laser

100% agree with everything you said.

But look at the posts. None offered that. They basically immediately jumped to “don’t expect to cut with a diode” or “diodes can’t cut”.

He also didn’t blame them, simply was asking for guidance to help this do what is stated it can do. Asking for help and experience like what you’ve offered now.

I wouldn’t have said anything if any of the first 10 posts would have been that. But they weren’t.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your help. I guess I will just have to accept it for what it is.

2 Likes

No one jumped onto the topic of well you won’t be able to cut it with the laser. What Phil said we don’t know if the laser was focused/settings and what’s being cut because all machines/materials can be different. Also everyone else saying that not all machines and materials are the same. It’s more of a engraving laser that a lot of people use mostly for that. No one is being mean or putting down anyone other then Sam telling me to not comment and has his post deleted for that comment. I think all of the posts were spot on and none of them in a bad way.

1 Like

i agree

Here is some balsa wood i cut with mine

Ive also cut 1/8" ply.
It took about 50 passes lowering the z height in small increments every few passes but it did cut

Hint: To improve cutting, yes, focus as sharp as you can, but do it with the lens about 3 inches above your wood surface. Then lower the laser 1/2 the thickness of your wood, so the focus point is at the center of the wood thickness. This works well for me with 1/8 inch thick wood. Also, be sure there is plenty of air blowing smoke away from the lens. It takes but very little smoke to reduce cutting power significantly.

5 Likes

Thanks John

1 Like

If you want a great laser cutter/engraver for hobby and small business take a look at a GlowForge. I just bought their basic for $2,500.00. It’s a 40 watt CO2 laser and has two on board cameras for scanning and positioning your SVG file on your stock. GlowForge offers proof grade material that’s protected with paper on both sides. Each piece of proof grade material has a QR code on it that tells the machine what stock it is and sets all the parameters automatically for cutting/engraving that particular piece of material. I know it sounds to good to be true but it works perfect. It’s made in the USA and the build quality is outstanding. There is also a trace function that allows you to draw an image on material and the laser head camera will scan/follow the drawing and cut or engrave right over your drawing.

6 Likes

20x12

The cheaper ones don’t have pass-thru capability and none of them have rotary support. Max 2” height inside.

(I’m looking at one as a good “starter” system)

1 Like

I’ve been eyeballing that one since its Kickstarter days. Looks like a great machine but not cheap. Nice features though that make it as user friendly as a laser cutter can be. The idea of it having a place in the kitchen/living room the makers always seem to push seems a stretch to me though. Also I heard it is very dependent on an online software suite much like Easel is for Xcarve. The difference being there is no alternative so if that goes down you’re stuck with an expensive brick. Is this still the case? I remember that being the most important talking point when it was revealed.

1 Like

Yes still the case. The GF needs a internet connection to work. I think people make to much of a big deal about the need for internet connection. Yes, I understand the concerns about it. Yet I never hear anyone mentioning the positive aspects which I see as a nice advantage. There are a lot of companies using cloud based software these days. My Carvey and my Cricut Air both use it. I think that just because GF is a new company, people are worried about their long term stability. Don’t forget, GF set an all time kick starter funding back in 2015 earning over 27 million dollars in the first 30 day’s. They’ve sold a tone of units with very happy owners. I think there going to be around for a long time.

You won’t be sorry. GF is a great company. They remind me very much of Inventables. The machine is built like a tank. The other thing that no one mentions is the unit is totally self contained. Meaning, the only thing externally that has to be connected is the power cord, period. Coolant, coolant pump and exhaust fan are all contained inside the unit.

1 Like

For the money, the GF is a fantastic starter system and a breeze to use providing you use the proof grade materials. But, your not limited to proof grade materials. You always have the option to experiment with the setting like you have to do with the other machines out there. It’s very encouraging to get a perfect cut or engrave after just pushing the one and only button on the GF. Go do your research, read the reviews, watch the You Tube videos, go on the GlowForge user group site and read what users have to say. I think you find all the above to be very positive.

1 Like

Right now, the GF doesn’t have a rotary setup. But, I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if they offered it at a later date. The GF does have a auto focus stepper motor that will calculate the distance and adjust the lens on the fly. This will allow the laser to follow a curved surface and stay in focus automatically.

1 Like

yeah out of itself cloud based apps are not a problem. But back in the day GF didn’t have a proven track record so if for some reason they bankrupted all the pre-orderers would have ended up with nothing, even the ones that actually got their unit. I’m always happy to see Kickstarters done right because the horror stories giving it a bad name.

Good plan. Be prepared, the shipping box is 46”x28”x14 and about 80 lbs. there is a second box that includes the crumb tray, exhaust hose and a assortment of different proof grade material (nice touch). I believe the units are made at Flex manufacturing in Milpitas, Ca. That’s where my unit shipped from.

1 Like

Yes, it can be a gamble. I think now though that GF can breath a breath of fresh air.

1 Like

I was able to purchase a 60 watt laser with a 20" x 28" work area and work height of 8" for $1800 delivered.
I use third party software LightBurn without an issue. Yes it is a beast but I have not had any problems and I can work on it and replace any component. LightBurn supports using a camera as well.

I started with a $300 cheap chinese laser to see if I would use it. Was able to sell it when I purchased the new unit.

If you have the money and do not mind being married to the ecosystem, I am sure GF is an ok unit.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW here is Starbucks cup I did on the rotatory attachment that was plug and play for $100.00

5 Likes

Which 60w unit did you buy?

3 Likes