Disappointed with 2.8w JTech Laser

I had to replace the Chinese N2 board on my K40 with the Cohesion3D mini board and now use Lightburn software. Did you need to replace the original board on your 60w machine? The Cohesion3D board supports Smoothieware and grbl. The Lightburn software was a huge improvement. I plan to do the same and jump up in machine size.

Ah, ok, cool. The big brother of the 40w. I have the 40w and the Cohesion board replacement (plus others like air assist) and was wondering how well the bigger (and more costly) version worked…

Not at all. This bigger version runs on what is known as a Rudia controller that is DSP based. LightBurn can interface with it without a problem. LB does cost more to use this controller.
I found this one well made using crimp ferrules on the wires and prox sensors for end stops.

I am extremely satisfied with this unit in every way. I have been having a blast using it!

1 Like

Did you order one? Ship time?

1 Like

Ordered my GlowForge on a Monday and it was delivered on Wednesday same week. Shipped from Milpitas, Ca. I live in Pleasanton, Ca. About 20 miles away. So, that’s the reason I received it so quick. Still should give you some idea of how quickly they are shipping them out.

Question: why wouldn’t you just set each pass as an incrementing depth of cut for [number of passes]/[material thickness]?

Then you would get the same focal distance for every pass

A laser beam, viewed from the side, is ‘X’ shaped. Max intensity is at the center of the ‘X’, or focal point. But it also has some burning ability on each side of the focal point. If you set the focal point of the beam at the surface of your material, then simply put you are using only the “lower” half of the beam’s power for cutting. Setting the focal point below the surface slightly increases cutting ability IMO.

Setting it for the center of 1/8 ply works well for me in cutting clock faces. Lowering it in increments in thicker material may help, but trying to cut materials thicker than about 1/8 inch is difficult. As you try to cut thicker material by lowering the focal point deeper into the material, the surface of the material can “block” the beam’s penetration when the part of the beam above the focal point that is not intense enough to burn the material and widen the kerf hits the material surface.

Also, increasing the distance of the lens from the surface of the material (I use 3 inches) stretches the beam’s shape so it has a longer length of burning intensity above and below the focal point.

Sorry, I know this is a clumsely worded description, but I hope it makes some sense.