Does anyone else like money?

I’m not proposing a replacement for Easel. I’m proposing an additional piece of software for those who might want to use such a feature.

No it wouldn’t. You can’t copy the gCode right now! Once again, this is an additional feature that doesn’t replace an existing one. How can you be denied a feature that you don’t currently have?

Tell it to Zach. :wink:

Why pay a guy to run his gcode?

I’d gladly pay for his design, though, should I fancy it… The gcode is kinda unique to his machine and his bits and whatnot and not really of any value to me. Pay-to-play gcode sounds just silly to me.

Or did I miss something relevant? ( I did have a few drinks… )

1 Like

1 Like

I’m guessing he’s never heard of ‘open source’, ‘open build’, community oriented sharing before. What a shame.

1 Like

Open source is fantastic. Look at what you can do with Blender. Pixar quality movie for free.

I don’t understand. What would be stopping you from doing this? I’m not suggesting anything that would deny you or anyone else from contributing to the community if that’s what makes you happy. I’m merely suggesting an additional service that could be provided by Inventables that has potential to make other people happy as well.

Bad guess. I’ve been developing software since 1979, including some open source software. If anything, I’m more aware of the concept of sharing than most. :wink:

I really appreciate the way the site is now. Most of us had to same over time to get our machine. I waited for over a year to decide to make the leap to get into this new area. I like the fact that that people share ideas and help each other without the expectation of compensation. Just the satisfaction of knowing that they helped someone. Inventables created an opportunity for many of us to enter this exciting world that was out of reach otherwise

i agree with the general concensus that this goes against the spirit of the community. But every man has a right to his opinion about monetizing. The thing is, it is just waaay more impractical to have people pay for gcode as opposed to an stl file for example. So this question is kind of strange even in its premise.

1 Like

In before Phil takes over Microsoft and becomes the world’s richest man.

To monetize, first find your market. Then figure out what this market wants (need is irrelevant)
If its premade gcode - go for it.

Gcode is not a definite set of instructions, it is a result of choices covering machine/operator tolerance, bit size, run-out, system requirments (Post processor tailered towards the intended CNC-machine), quality level, time consumption etc.
If you provide a machining code do you provide a satisfaction/production/useability guarantee?