Dremel torque problem

The bit I was using was:

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/solid-carbide-2-flute-straight-end-mill-10-pack

It appears to me (given my as yet limited understanding) that this bit is similar to the Onsrud 56-240 which has a chip load of 0.003-0.005 (according to Onsrud’s chart for hard plywood).

So given that Feedrate = RPM x chip load x flutes

then using the Dremel’s lowest possible RPM (5000) we have

Feedrate = 5000 x .003 x 2 = 30

But the RPM I was using was probably more like 10,000 so that would give us

Feedrate = 10,000 x 0.003 x 2 = 60

So it would seem that the Shapeoko should have had no problem cutting through birch plywood at 30ipm yet it bogged down, stopped, and drilled into the wasteboard at 10ipm.

So if this isn’t due to limited torque of the Dremel, I am clueless as to what might be causing the problem.

I am also clueless as to what sort of cutting depth would have been best for this. It isn’t clear to me how the Onsrud chart information should be used to determine depth of cut.

Please help!

Hi Rick

Can you look on the box for the Dremel what the RPM range is?

Try carving at 0.020" depth per pass and adjust from there.

Hello Zach,

The Dremel RPM range is from 5000 to 32,000 RPM. The depth I have been using was 0.050" per pass. I’ll cut that back to 0.020" next time. Thanks.

Hi Rick

32000x.003x2 = 192IPM

Try that. The problem with the Dremel is when you lower the RPM it is not geared you are lowering the current and therefore get less torque.

I don’t think the machine can go 192. Try to adjust it down proportionally. To an RPM of 16,000 and an IPM of 96 at a depth of .020" and see how that works.

Zach

Thanks Zach! It will be the middle of next week before I can get to the Makerspace again to try that. But I’ll post the results as soon as I have them.