My bonehead move of the assembly process was dropping a Z motor screw into the X Carriage via the belt/spindle access hole. And it got stuck in there, so that necessitated disassembling the MakerSlides from the Y plates, while leaving the Y-plates attached to the Y axes.
When I had the X axis off, I also sorted out what I perceived to be a “problem” wit one of the Y plates. The step motor was very sticky and felt like it was binding up as I moved the gantry forward and back on the Y axis. I swapped out that motor with my remaining Z motor and (reassembled), things move smoothly now.
The disassembly, motor replacement, and reassembly helped me understand belt tension a little better and what the clips are doing. Just a hunch, but the belt clip system seems like an area that could be improved, a lot. It’s a pain to remove, especially with the lock nut, and it seems to take away a good 3 inches of Y work area.