Dust collection option?

I was only using the bag as an interface between the hose and the much larger vacuum area it’s more difficult to fit a 5-6 inch hose to the (presumption from ebay picture) 8-9 inch (?) base, saves a LOT of tape, heh.

Why would I want increased airflow if it’s being sucked out? (honest question), I could see that reason being motor strain but lack of filter pull lessens that to begin with (swings and roundabouts), but otherwise it seems to me that I’m simply increasing suction at cutting point and the more the airflow the lesser the suction and I can’t site the suction hose too close to the level of the bit so increased suction would seem on the face of it an advantage if there’s no strain being caused.

The volume of air moving through the Carvy enclosure is what will pull the dust out so keep the volume as high as possible. That is why dust collectors are rated in cubic feet per minute, the more cubic feet of air they can move every minute the better. Just be sure you have a large enough air inlet (covered with a filter) to get the same volume of air back into the enclosure.

Wouldn’t the airflow be the same but just at a higher pressure, which offers me better suction? The fan mechanism is working at the same rate. TBH I’m not changing the hose diameter that much (maybe take it from existing 4 inch to 2/3 comfortable enough to fit in the smaller chassis of the Carvey , I know I said ‘dramatically’ in my previous post that was probably more of an overstatement), but according to the vids I’ve seen the usual (aprox) 4 inch hose doesn’t really offer much suction, probably for the smaller non-visible particles which I admit is my main concern, but the larger particles don’t ‘seem’ to get picked up much.

I have air input covered thanks.

Leave the hose at 4 inches if you can, it will do much better.

Unfortunately something of that size isn’t an option, you’re talking another spindle motor basically, it would restrict x axis movement towards the end of the cutting board.

So apart from that it seems good to go?

Wait, do you intend to attach the hose to the spindle with a dust shoe? I thought you had a Carvey

I’m getting one, or at least I certainly want to, I’m sorting out all my prep issues first. (and I have quite a few, I can’t just get it and sort out any issues then :/)

I had planned on attaching it to the spindle, (method not quite nailed down yet, that’s the next step) obviously making sure there was no strain anywhere, obstructions or restrictions… Is this not a good idea? (I now see why you were stipulating max airflow, if you weren’t aware of that, you were expecting my hose to just to come in and stay at the back…I should have been clearer on that, sz)

I do not have a Carvey, I only use an X-Carve so I am no expert on the Carvey. But from what I have seen it looks like it would be pretty difficult to attach a dust shoe and vacuum hose. The hose needs to be able to move with the spindle, on the X-Carve it is easy to allow the hose to drop down from above with enough freedom to “follow” the spindle around the work area. With the Carvey being completely enclosed I don’t see how to give the hose that same freedom.

TBH I don’t think I’ll require a dust shoe and as long as I use a flexible enough tube I shouldn’t have any restriction/obstruction or strain problems bringing it through in between the top and bottom rods, y axis won’t be a too much of a concern because y-axis movement on the Carvey is relatively minor and there’s enough room between each rod for the tube to come and go with that movement.

Good luck, keep us posted on how that works.

This’ll be the first place I post pics, It probably won’t look all that pretty, but it’ll be functional and airtight. It will be a couple of months though, I hate too much debt, so it’s always one thing at a time and I just bought a big 4K TV, no harm in prepping early… I really appreciate yours and everyone else’s help in the matter.

I absolutely know it’s possible now, and that removes any obstacles to going ahead.

Thanks. Everyone.

1 Like

Hi,

Curious - did you ever retrofit your Carvey for dust collection?

I’m considering going through the back of the unit,and modeling a 3d printed dust shoe and vacuum ball joint. Wouldn’t need a lot of “play” in the hose since a vacuum hose ball joint (like this - https://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryd.asp?item_no=GCOLLECT09 except 3d printed and much smaller) could easily allow for the side to side movement, and a collapsable hose (like this: http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-2-1-2-expandable-shop-vacuum-hose-kit) will accordion as necessary for the side to side motion.

connect this with a small fein vacuum and I’d have a nice little indoor system.

Carvey’s Carbide-3D cousin, Nomad, has some dust collection options that folks there have created.

Regarding dust collection / filtration, etc. including the use of a separator, isn’t the vac system whichever is used, really only a separator in itself given that the fine harmful particles are escaping and being blown back into the air?

In the case of a shop vac where the exhaust point is definite (unlike a dedicated dust collector with large bags) and where the escaping particles are being rapidly and forcefully expelled, would it be feasible build a chamber of sorts into which these particles are blown, then allowing the air to escape only after being filtered by an appropriate HEPA filter?

I recognize the implications of chocking down an exhaust system, but perhaps an appropriately sized chamber would not restrict airflow too much nor perhaps it’s efficiency. Certainly would not want to load the motor by trying to force are through a too much restricted area or filter system. My apologies if this approach has been discussed already. If it has, I missed it

Scratch that… my apologies

Yeah, I get that, however this doesn’t answer my question.

1 Like

Putting the exhaust outside is not always an option.

1 Like