Dxf too large

hi all, I recently purchased a file which includes a dxf for the cnc however its too big for easel (about 9Mb).
It has 5 segments which could be separated but I’m not able to to do it as I

1. don’t know how
  2. don’t have a program suitable or the the knowhow to do it
  3. too old
    any help would be good
    Pete

Hi Pete,
There is a way to do this. I use Inkscape for that. It’s a free program that you can download from the internet (www.inkscape.org) If you want to go down that road, I’d like to help you further. You can also send the file to me and then you can make five separate documents.

Hi Pete,

Inkscape is a very simple drawing program that I started using myself only four years ago. Of course, there is a learning curve, but if you know that I am now 67 years old and I learned this myself by watching youtube videos. You can still teach an old dog new tricks. I use inkscape for all my 2D projects and I’ve made hundreds of them. That way you can also make DXF and SVG files yourself without it costing you a penny.

1 Like

Hi Bert,
Thanks for your reply. I’m now 74 and finding things a bit harder as things keep changing so fast.
I will d/l inkscape as you suggest and try that but to speed things up I can send you the file anyway.
Cheer
Pete

Another question. If converted to .svg will the parts size change as this is a problem I had when bringing .stl files into easel. I only have a 3018 and having some success with it so am looking to learn and play on it rather than a larger machine.
Pete

You should be able to maintain the correct scale when converting the file. Can you post here? If it’s purchased with a license then better off you share via personal message. I can help as well.

1 Like

happy to share with you but how do I do that without it being linked for all to see/
Pete

you can follow the 2nd half of this video to set the project to “unlisted” then copy the link shown and then DM that link to Neil: click his name and the “message” button then paste the link in and send it just to him only.

Hi Seth,
The problem is I can’t import it to do the things in the video as it won’t import into easel because of its size, 9Mb.
I can see the envelope for sending email but I don’t know if it will show up here as well.
Pete

1 Like

Hi Peter,
That DXF is a bit much. I can probably get it to an SVG and maybe split it into 5 files by sheet, but it’ll be too much for me to go beyond that. I have three young kids and zero time.
I’ll get back to you later.

If you already heard from @BertKlappe, let me know so I don’t waste my time.

1 Like

no problem. svg would be good for me.
Peter

Sending a Zip file with five SVGs now. Looked to me like that was an old format DXF and it was huge.
I split each section into a separate SVG to make it more manageable, and I scaled everything to match the descriptions on the page.
You’ll still have some work to do.
Make sure you share the project here when you’re done!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for that much appreciated

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.