Easel feature request list (not a discussion thread)

I would like to see the ability to start your carve from other positions (like the center) instead of just the bottom left corner.

I would also like to see the ability to turn on and off the roughing and detail tool paths, so you can preview those operations independently, or together as needed. It can be difficult to see the lines for each operation and see exactly what is happening when both the roughing and detail paths are displayed together, especially in very detailed projects.

“This is a list thread. Before you post please read the guidelines at the top of the thread.”

1 Like

Right now with easel, i’ve noticed your machine is going to cut your designs based on the order it was uploaded into the project.

It’d be really nice if easel could allow us to tell our machine which design to cut first, second, third and so on!

2 Likes

You could technically just move your entire project so its centered on the black dot at 0,0 and it will start there.

1 Like

True, but not very accurate, especially when we expect our machines to be accutare to 1/10th of a mm or better.

I use easel for my primary software and on many carves I use the center of the project as my xy zero point. You can set it any where you want

Don’t know why the forum shows this as a reply to Iain.

“This is a list thread. Before you post please read the guidelines at the top of the thread.”

Ability to hide the toolpath after it is generated (Simulate button). Sometimes I just generate it to see how my changes affect the carve time. I’m not sure how to get rid of the toolpath without doing something to the layout on the left-hand side. We already have the option to hide the material.

I’m a new user so maybe this doesn’t make sense…

I’d like to be able to add an “overshoot” factor to each shape that is a multiple of the bit diameter.

For example, on a rectangle you could add an overshoot in the horizontal direction of .5 bit diameters for each corner. Or perhaps you could add a full bit diameter of overshoot in the vertical direction for just the upper left corner. Or you could add overshoots of 1 bit diameter in both the vertical and horizontal directions for all four corners.

This would most often be used if you are milling out, say, a pocket or other “inside” cut. Currently you wind up with rounded corners that you either have to manually fix on the cut part (to fit in an object with square corners) or you have to manually add the little overshoots yourself. This would allow you to mill out pockets and other inside cuts that would have the tiny “dogbone” overshoots automatically.

I’d like to see the ability for a shape to have both a fill color AND an edge color - i.e. allow me to put in a shape that will cut an outline and at the same time cut a pocket . The interface would be identical to what it is now, but instead of the option for “Fill” and “Outline” being mutually exclusive, you could check both at the same time (or just one or the other, but at least one). The outline shape would always be “on top” of the fill shape.

I know I can do this manually right now, but it is a lot more difficult - especially if I move one of the shapes. I have to move the second by hand as well.

Thanks! I’ll look into that (and sorry for polluting this thread) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d like a “software jog control” feature be added to Easel. One that’s available on all screens and available to both Carvey and X-Carve machines. Something along the lines of this:

To the left of the Carve button, there would be a “Jog Controls” button.

Upon clicking this button, a popup window appears, with jog controls, as well as text labels indicating the current X, Y and Z positions. If the current project is in metric, the coordinates are displayed in mm, if imperial then in inches.

In the window there would be -100,-10,-1,-0.1,-0.01, 0.01, 0.1, 1, 10, 100 buttons for X, Y, and Z, similar to the jog controls in Cura and Simplify3D (both are 3D slicing software for 3D printers - Cura is open source so you should be able to find it, download it, and install it and see what I mean by this feature). If the machine hasn’t been homed yet, clicking on any of the “move by xx amount” buttons will first home the spindle/router.

There should also be a button which turns the spindle/router on & off (this would be very helpful for those times where I just want to plunge and make a drill hole in a specific spot)

Clicking outside the popup window, or clicking the “Jog Controls” button again, closes the window.

Thanks,

Jeff

2 Likes

My Easel wish list.

1. As others have said, the ability to jog/move the axis from any screen.
  2. Selectable layers with the ability to toggle on/off from view as well as from carving. (possibly using colors other than grey for objects on different layers)
  3. Lockable objects. The ability to lock position, as well as dimensions (Number one wish)
  • I occasionally bump an object when selecting it and unless I notice this when it happens…
  1. Object ordering. I’d like to be able to select the carving order (mostly because i think i can do it better :slight_smile:
  2. Lock the shape/cut window onto the right side of the screen. outside of the view. Or alternatively recognize when the window will overlap the object being selected, and move the window to the opposite side of the screen.
  3. A ‘home’ button on the preview screen.
  4. How about the ability to import clipart

That’s all for now.
Mike

2 Likes

A ‘lock all items while moving tabs’ function, so items to be cut don’t get accidentally nudged when fumbling around trying to grab tabs using the trackpad on a laptop.

1 Like

Currently easel is only able to do up to 30 tabs i would like to be able to have more than 30 at my disposal my xcarve is 1000x1800 and do some 5 ft cutouts and have needed more than 30 in some case

I would like to see a homing sequence menu item so I can home my machine anytime I want.

Let there be an option for “x more passes” after a cut is done and it asks you if everything went well. inconsistent material (or poor measuring) and uneven wasteboards can cause cuts not to go all the way thru and nothing sucks more than hand cutting pieces apart.

"This is a list thread. Before you post please read the guidelines at the top of the thread.

1 Like

Feature request: I’d like the Inventables team to act on many of these suggested features. Months and months without development, without comments, etc.

See my suggestions posted above in this thread.

I would like the software to allow me to save some settings like tab defaults then use them on other new projects.

1 Like

A bump feature would be nice. Say you set bump to 1/4" it then would not let you nest anything 1/4" from the edge of the material you are using.

G28 G30 and other “advanced user” actions as buttons or keyboard shortcuts ← feel free to comment in that thread