Easel Local for Linux?

Easel should still run just fine. You just can’t connect it to the X-Carve directly. You can use Easel to create and lay out projects, and to generate the GCode, then use UGS to actually send the GCode to the X-Carve.

That’s pretty much what I was doing with my Raspberry Pi, only I was using a different computer for creation and GCode generation and then moving to the Pi as a dummy terminal for sending.

Oh also? Killer Username!

That is a good point. In my situation, I was having problems communicating with the xcarve from UGS as well. Out of frustration, I went back to Win10.

Mike, you mentioned that you use Easel to layout your projects then generate gcode from there. I’m struggling to find any kind of option to save or export the gcode from Easel. How did you do this?

Machine -> Advanced -> Export Gcode

You can run Easel “natively” on Linux without UGS.

I’ve provided instructions here (I run the Easel driver on Raspberry Pi so that I can run Easel from a remote machine over the network):

5 Likes

@SamyKamkar I have tried this and it works great. It is much easier to use than many of the other ways and I believe that I can make my own updates without problems. I have tried this with version 3.6 local and it works like a champ then I closed the browser and run UGS to see if it released the port as it should and this also worked flawless, great job I am very appreciative of what you have provided us.

2 Likes

Great!

Thank you for the driver for linux driver for Easel SamyKamkar! I can now run Easel on my Raspberry Pi 3. I am using Bob’s CNC for the CNC and this works like a champ!

2 Likes

Awesome!

This will allow to run easel on Raspi, but will need internet connection to work? Or am I missing something?

Easel requires internet to download designs from inventables

easel-Local is the guide sender that easel uses to send Goode to USB…

So what you say is that once I have easel displayed in my browser I don’t need an internet connection to run easel.

that is correct. Easel Local sends the G-Code to the X-Controller through the Easel program to do this you do not need the internet. you will need the internet to launch Easel initially and load the file that you created but once loaded you can disconnect from the internet and continue to cut. Some have mentioned that they do this in extreme situations (no internet in shop) but if at all possible I would leave the connection on.

1 Like

Nope. I wouldn’t say that. it tries to save the file as you design. no connection, no saving.

test your scenario… best way to determine if it will work. official inventables line has always been Easel requires internet.

Good to know. I do have internet in the shop, just was curious what will happen during an outage.

Still think an approach like CNCjs works best when working remotely.

try all of them and see which one works best for your particular situation. that is the nice thing about options.

3 Likes

Hi.

I installed the linux driver and it works great!

Does anyone has a solution to auto start the driver on boot?

1 Like

Great! I just upgraded it tonight to also support uploading firmware on Linux through Easel as well.

You can start it on boot by running:
(crontab -l ; echo “@reboot cd ~/easel-driver && /usr/bin/screen -dmS easel node iris.js”) | crontab

This will add it to crontab, and it can run as a regular user. Please note you need the ‘cd’ to go to the path where iris.js is – I’m just assuming you set everything up in your home dir, so it should be in ~/easel-driver which is created by my setup script.

1 Like

Thanks to your script, Sammy. I am able to get it to work on my RPi 3.

In Pi, I am able to go to easel.inventables.com, login, open my project, connect to x-carve and also carve it.

Only thing that’s not working is the simulation part. Do I need to enable anything?

Thanks,
Viru