Easel Local for Linux?

Samy said his script already starts at boottime.

Otherwise I’d Google “man chrontab”.

Just copy and paste that crontab line into the shell. You can verify it’s there afterwards by running crontab -l and you should see that “@reboot” line

Thank you !
I was launching the order with sh in front…
Not very strong in linux control; =)
JB

Good morning,

I bet you really wanted to know all this!

Yes, it is!

The end particulary

The upshot of all this is that if it is not a script (it’s a native binary program) you don’t need to prefix it with sh, if it is a script but it has an appropriate shebang and it’s executable, you don’t need the sh prefix either. You only need to prefix the script with the name of the shell (sh) if it does not have a shebang or it is not set executable.

JB

Hi all,
The Linux driver for Easel is available at the thread Beta Easel Driver Linux support (Debian & Ubuntu) You can voice all your feedback in the new thread.
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, I wonder if the same commands also work with the X-Controler.

If X-Controller uses Easel, then yes.

1 Like

Hello,

Trying to get this installed but running into a problem.

When I try: wget -O - Easel - Downloads | perl -ne ‘print $1 if /href=“([^”]+EaselDriver-0.3.10.pkg[^"]*)/’ | xargs wget -O EaselDriver-0.3.10.pkg, I’m getting:

wget: missing URL

Also, the current driver version is 3.14, should I use that?

TIA

the way they handle the links have changed.
If you just need the easel local for a Linux install just go to Easel - Downloads and click on the link and download and install.
If you need to compile for a different architecture (like the Raspberry Pi) then I would download the mac version and extract and compile as instructed per this page. GitHub - samyk/easel-driver: Easel driver for Linux, Mac, Windows, ARM, Raspberry Pi, Intel, FTDI, CH340, CH341, CP210x, FTDI clones, local, and remote access to GRBL-based CNC controllers modify as needed to include the latest version of the easel local.

1 Like

Private message me if needed.

1 Like

Got installed! Thanks!!

Today, I used the shell script to setup my new RPi 3B+. I updated the script to pull the latest driver and everything worked like a champ. I am having issues rebooting and getting the driver to reload. Simply running “screen -dbS easel note iris.js” after a reboot doesn’t seem to do anything. If I rerun the easel-driver.sh script from the beginning, everything works great. What am I missing? I will create a stripped down shell and start stripping out lines (like downloading the driver, creating directories, moving files, etc.)

Define “doesn’t work”? The screen command backgrounds the process, so you won’t see anything. You can then bring the screen into foreground by running screen -r. You can background it again by running Ctrl+A then D.

When I run the script from beginning to end, Easel finds the X-Controller. If I reboot and run “screen -dmS easel node iris.js”, Easel does not find the X-Controller. When I run “screen -r easel”, I get the message, “There is no screen to be resumed matching easel.”

What does it say if you just run node iris.js? Also pwd?

I get several lines starting with “Starting Easel Local 0.3.14” and ends with a line stating “Port opened.” At this point, Easel can find the X-Controller.

I see nothing when entering “screen -dmS easel node Iris.js”

pwd gives me “/home/pi/easel-driver.”

scratches head but it doesn’t work in screen? You could also try just running screen, then running node iris.js and see if that behaves differently.

I reran the full script one more time and rebooted. Don’t know what changed but your original screen line works now. Sorry for any confusion. I really appreciate the work you put into this. It works beautifully.

Thanks,
Don

1 Like

Awesome!

1 Like

Hum I wonder what package is required? Pi3 B+ Raspbian latest.

Where can the detailed report be found?