Easel seems to export on path instead of outline

Hello,
i have a problem. I imported an inkscape made svg with a form.
I imported it to easel.
I chose a 2mm straight cut bit
i set some custom cut settings
i select outline for the importet form.
I simulate–> all looks good
I export to gcode and carve —> it carves the “on path” or “inside” path of my form.

Anybody ever hat this problem?

Are you sure your bit diameter is actually 2 mm (use calipers)? …and have you calibrated your machine’s steps/mm?

Yes, i am sure its 2mm and my machine is calibrated. It all worked nicely and when i control the machine by cncjs it travels exactly.

Did you select “outside” in Easel?

yes, i did!

Can you share the project?

sure. This is the project:
http://easel.inventables.com/projects/tyKDxggyhhUs7Ceod5TLEQ

And this is a photo of the carve. I use cncjs and a 2mm straight bit.
cncjs works very exactly when i use manual controls so i dont think its a machine problem.

OK… seems not to be an easel problem. I made svg to gcode conversion with another tool and the same results. Now my problem is even bigger haha!
Any ideas?

Can you cut out a perfect square, say 100mm x 100mm, and share the results?

http://easel.inventables.com/projects/w4MJsjq-7NN3N6UZrVNn0w
when i carve this i get a quit exact square of 100x100mm but the other shapes are a lot “thinner” then in eases preview. And yes :slight_smile: its a 2mm bit.

And now i found out whats the problem. The router bit is too thin and too flexible. It bends so much that it doesnt follow the path… thats the problem … Solution found

1 Like

What’s your feed rate?

If this is truly the problem, you should be able to still use that bit at a slower feed rate. If you’re still having problems after trying that, you probably need to tighten a V-wheel or two somewhere.

I had a feedrate of 1000 mm/min at 4mm cut depth. Maybe its already enough to change that to 2mm…

and how much of the tool is extending out of the collet?

way too much - as it seems
17mm… Had too because otherwise it wouldnt reach the bottom…

I understand that.

If for instance the tool have 5mm exposed the deflection is 1x => 10mm = 4x => 20mm = 16x
Double the length = 4x the deflection.

So the combination of the tool stickup and (lack of) diameter vs cut depth your root cause :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for your explaination. Can you give some source for your formula “Double the length = 4x the deflection.” ?

It should be 8x the deflection. If you double the endmill’s diameter, you’ll more than make up for it.

“As you increase the distance your tool sticks out of your tool holder the rigidity decreases exponentially”

1 Like