Engrave on glass

I need to engrave on some glass decanters and rock glasses, that won’t fit in my laser. I’m pretty new to the CNC and I don’t have a lot of knowledge with it especially glass. I bought a 90° spring loaded diamond bit, but I’m not sure how to manage the settings for the bit. If someone out there has any suggestions or advice for the setting to accomplish the engraving, please Help. Thnx

Do you have GCode from another program to use? If not, I would experiment with the toolpath options in Easel first; raster worked well for me, but you have to tell Easel that the bit is some specified diameter you need to get the toolpaths at the spacing you like. You will also get outline paths around edges with raster as well if that really matters to you. Making the bit diameter really super small will get super-tight toolpaths; making the bit diameter larger will space the toolpaths out more.

For the DOC, set it to the max depth you wish to press down on the engraver with. I have used 1/16" to 1/8" for the design depth and set the DOC to that as well.

For the Feedrate, I used 55 ipm the last time I used my engraver, but do what feels comfortable.

Just be aware that the type of glass matters for engraving with a diamond bit.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

Thnx Brandon, that info is great to have thank you. Ive seen some info that says the spindle needs to be turned off. Is this true? & How is that done?

Yes, the spindle should not be on when using a diamond drag engraving bit. Which machine are you working with?

Brandon Parker

Brandon, Im using the new XCARVE PRO.

Brandon, I tried turning the spindle down to 0 on the cut settings, but it won’t let me. The lowest I can get the spindle rpm down to is at 1 rpm. Don’t know if that is how its done. This is the only thing that I have been able to find so far.

That makes sense…
There is currently no official way to turn the spindle off for a carve on the X-Carve Pro. You might be able to disconnect it. This is obviously an oversight in design in my book since CNCs can be used with engravers, drag knifes, pens/markers, and much more where the spindle needs to not be powered on during the process.

Brandon Parker

Brandon, thnx for your help with this, I will probable just unplug the spindle and see how that goes.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.