Engraved lines

Hi everyone

After engraving something into wood how do you all go about cleaning out the inside of the lines. I sand the surface and that helps some but those tiny hair like wood fibers inside the engraved lines are very annoying.

What wood are you using?

You could get some fancy deburring type of tools or just use an Exacto knife or razor blade.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

I use a brass brush, I get them at Harbor Freight or the tool tables a the car show. Gets some of it out but not a 100% of it. Brass is soft enough it wont scratch the surface

3 Likes

I use a combination, I had a set of hand carving tools that I use along with a brass brush. Some wood leaves more debris behind than others so do some testing and find woods that need less clean-up.

1 Like

Thank you all for the advise. I apreciate it. The brass brush works really good. Again thank you.

1 Like

Same here, a small brass brush works great, use it before you start sanding. I also use a firm finger nail brush on soft wood.

Here’s what I use

100 Pack Abrasive Wheels, Rocaris 1" (25mm) Abrasive Buffing Polishing Wheels Burr for Rotary Tools-1/8"(3mm) ShankFrom Amazon

If you have used this bit many times then it’s probably time to get a new (sharpened) one but if not, I would suggest that you take your passes a little shallower and maybe speed up or slow down your rate of cut. :wink:

I use a detail sander from rockler. Its a life saver on small detailed engravings and such. You can get different grit belts for it and its amazing. Id link it but my work firewall blocks the link lol. Go to rockler.com and search detail sander, it looks like this:
detailsander

2 Likes