Entering Ball Nose bits in Easel Toolbox

Hi all! Newbee here…I recently purchased the Easel Pro software and I am slowly figuring it out (with a lot of help from reading this forum!). My question is how I would enter the bits shown here. The shank is 1/8" but the diameter is listed as .5mm, and ball radius as .25mm. Thank you so much for the help!

2 Likes

Patti,

Well Easel is not setup Quite yet for tapered ball nose yet. but if use R=0.25mm as cutter size.
you might want to do a couple test carves on that.

happy carven

Ok. Thank you so much, I will try that!

Ok…again, newbie here, lol. Is there a reason I would do .25mm instead of .5mm? Is it listed as .25mm radius and .5mm diameter because it is a ball shape and it won’t make contact with the full tip?

1 Like

Na, It was pull out of mid-air and/or a random number.

Happy carven

Patty, that’s the same taper bit I use. This carve is on the small side, being 4 inches by 4 inches. I just put it in the system as the tip being close to 1/32 or .03125in. I roughed with a 1/16 bit and then used the taper bit with a manual setting equivalent to approximately .03in:

4 Likes

great job!!

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing myself. Easel only has one default ball nose right now at 1/8". Smaller, more detailed carvings will need something a bit more refined, such as a 1/16" but there’s no option for making it a ball nose. This is also the case for upcut bits. You can enter the diameter but not cut direction (upcut or downcut). I wish they would expand the customization for bits just a little more. I use a 1" wasteboard flattening bit for my cutting boards but the only option I have is to enter a custom bit width of 1" and then guess on the parameters. Maybe someday soon.

1 Like

That is so beautiful!! Thank you so much for the information!

1 Like

Ball Bits and Tapered Ball Bits should be entered as a BALL Bit using the Tip Diameter.
In this case 0.5mm (=0.019685")
However these BALL bits can only be used for the finishing pass on a 3d carving.
When you go into the toolbox Easel actually changes the term from “width” as shown in the temporary entry, over to “diameter” within the toolbox entry. They might want to stick to one term (diameter) for these, but we’ll see if they get around to fixing this discrepancy any time soon.

IF you wanted to use this bit in the 2.5D workspace you’d need to trick Easel a bit, I would still enter as a 0.5mm width but as an endmill AND you’d want to use a depth of only the RADIUS of the bit, in this case 0.25mm would be the depth to set the design as for engraving using this bit…

2 Likes

Thank you! I do want to use them for 3d carving eventually, just entering the bits I have first. Thank you for this information, it is very helpful!

1 Like

Mam, I am still quite new at this. What happens if you have a bit that is an up-cut bit, also the same diameter as a 1/16 in bit with a 1/4 in shank? If you want to add it to your selections, will it cut the full distance, or will it cut only to the edge of the bit and not bring the cuttings up?
Thank You, Frank

1 Like

@FrankBarker You’ll manually need to make sure that the bit has enough length without the shoulder of the bit hitting the workpiece. There is no setting in Easel to prevent this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.