Error code in 3d carve not enough memory

Hello everyone,

I have an error on my browser that keeps timing out when it goes to generate a tool path on a 3d carving. I’m using google chrome that’s up to date. I’ve cleared my cash and have no other programs running on my computer. I’m using an intel nuc that has 16g of ram 4 core i5 processor and an Iris XE graphics card. I believe this has more than enough power to run the easel software.

I’m making a 3d carving about 10x8” on the rough pass I’m using a 1/4 upcut bit. then on the finishing path I’m wanting to use a 1/32 ball nose. When i go to generate the tool that with the 1/32” bit the browser either times out or gives me an error message saying not enough memory. I bring the finishing bit size up a tad to a 1/16” ball nose and it does just fine generating the tool path.

If anyone can shed some insight on this it would be much appreciated

2 Likes

Unfortunately this is an issue on smaller machines with complex 3D cut paths. I encountered similar a month ago, and I ultimately abandoned Easel in favor of using Fusion 360 to create my G-Code. Utimately I got a better solution, albeit with a steep learning curve.

In the meantime, it may be useful to also try Easel in Firefox, as you can adjust many settings including network timeout - something you can’t do with Chrome/Edge.

At the same time you can watch task manager as you try the carve to see what’s chewing memory - but ultimately, I think you’ll find that 16 GB RAM combined with complex paths on a 3D carve (especially with a 1/32nd bit - this is creating exponentially more paths than 1/16th would) in browser will be an issue. Sorry I don’t have better news here.

1 Like

I’m not an expert, but I think I’m seeing a red flag with the way you are cutting. Going straight from a 1/4" to a 1/32" bit is asking for all sorts of bad results, including:

• significantly longer cut times
  • significantly increased memory usage
  • significantly decreased tool life
  • bit breakage (sometimes)

I’m learning that carving follows some of the same rules as sanding. With sanding, you don’t jump right from an 80 grit paper all the way to 320 grit. Instead, you go from 80 to 120, then 180, 240 and finally 320. It seems like you’d be wasting time and sand paper, but the opposite is true. You’ll also end up with a better finish because each grit is doing its optimal amount of work.

With your carve, if you are starting at 1/4", your next pass should be 1/8", then 1/16", and finally 1/32" (if that is your desired workpiece resolution). Easel only lets you generate two cut paths, so I’m not exactly sure how you would do this properly in that scenario. Ideally you would generate the cut paths in a different software and then import them to easel on different workpieces/pages. Or, if all you have is Easel for generating your paths, you might have to find a compromise between the negatives listed above and your desired final resolution of your product. Your decision to use a 1/16" bit instead of 1/32" is a good example of this compromise.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.