Estlcam machine controller

@ChristianKnull

do you know if estlcam will work with this board?

As far as my understanding of the german language reaches, i can make up that it is based on a arduino board with Grbl. so maybe its possible to install the estlcam driver?

Hi,

the issue with the motion planner causing the machine to run extremely slow should now be resolved with version 9.006
Can someone please verify this?

(Sometimes if the file e.g contains a lot of 90Ā° turns from pocketing operations there may still appear a warning because the warning does not discern between avoidable and unavoidable decelerations but instead just checks if machining time is more than 1.25 x target time - but the many many unnecessary decelerations of previous versions should not happen anymore.)

@JarnoOoink:
I unfortunately donā€™t know this board - but from what Iā€™ve read it is very likely to work.

Christian

It uses the ch340 usb chip. Many software programs have problems with it especially at higher baud rates.

CH340 is fine - I have an Arduino Nano clone with this chip.
It just needs a different driver than the genuine Ardunos.

Just done some tests, it has resolved it for me for most of my files, there was on file which it still occured on, but as you say was pocketing with a lot of 90 so thats fine.

I found all my answers in here - than you all!

@ChristianKnull

Hi,

For some reason my Z axis insist on homing downwardsā€¦ Got a tip for me?

Hi,

it should home upwards.
What happens if you press the ā€œupā€ arrow in the control window? Will it move up or down?
If it moves down youā€™ll just need to invert the z-axis direction in the setup tab.

Christian

When I press the up button on the controller the result is what I expect it to be. It is only when homing the Z axis is behaving strangely

Hi,

which version are you using?
Iā€™ve just verified it is working correctly with version 9.018 on my test machine.

Christian

Hi,

I am also using 9.018

I am running a modified Prusa I3 for light cnc work and I would like to run grbl with Estlcam. I have a similar problem i am running 5mm Z axis rods. That puts my steps at 4000! Any ideas of how i can use Estlcam for my purposes?

Hi,

do you want to run it with GRBL and external g-code sender - or with Estlcam itself?

If GRBL with g-code sender just select the ā€œGRBLā€ preset in Estlcams ā€œSetupā€ / ā€œCNC program generationā€ tab to create GRBL compatible cnc code.

If Estlcam:

• Select the GRBL pin layout (ā€œGRBL safeā€ if youā€™re not sure if your hardware is using the old or new GRBL pin layout)
  • Enter ā€œSteps per revolutionā€ according to your stepper driver settings.
  • ā€œDistance per revolutionā€ will be belt pitch * pulley tooth count for X and Y and thread pitch (5mm) for Z.
  • Check the maximum feedrates - the one for Z will be much much lower than X and Y
  • Press ā€œProgram Arduinoā€ to update and start the controller.

Christian

Iā€™m hoping to run it with Estlcam. I think I figured it out. My x/y are 80mm and I believe my Z is .8mm (thread pitch) not 4000. I will either be using a Grbl port for Printrboard with UGS or switch to Uno/Estlcam. I have not decided yet. One of my main concerns is how to set up end stops. Iā€™m very new to the CNC side of things and Iā€™m finding out I cannot approach things the same.

Thanks.

Hi
Im using Mega 2560 + ramps 1.4 + drv 8825 on Estlcam.
Everything work fine, but Z axe on stepper are not moving UP only Down. If change Z axe to inverse, move Up and not Down.
Any ideas ?

Hi,

this is strange.
Iā€™d first say disconnected dir signal (faulty board or damaged arduino) - but if this is the case it wouldnā€™t move in the other direction after inversing the axis.
Have you tried interchanging the DRV8825 drivers? Maybe the one for the Z-axis is faulty.

Christian

Hi,
Thanks for response.
I wrote wrong, in no reverse mode, motor turn clockwise, if i set reverse motor turn the same direction (clockwise) i just must press another arrov. but rotation stay the same. When i physically switch wires (from 2B2A1A1B to 1B1A2A2B) motor rotate anticlockwise. Stepper and DRV is ok i tested both on X axis and work fine.
And you right it its strangeā€¦

Hi,

in this case there should be only two options left:

• Damaged Arduino so the dir pin does not work.
  • Or faulty shield with interrupted or shortened dir trace (my chinese ramps board came with 4 solder bridges I needed to fix first - really shoddy quality). If the dir signal is shorted by a solder bridge it will also destroy the Arduino pin.

Christian

1 Like

Hi
OMGā€¦ omgā€¦
I never pay attention how is something soldered together.
When i look ramps through the magnifier 6 pins is soldered together !!!
Yes ramps is from China.
I would not be surprised if I found some rice in the IC ā€¦Chineseā€¦
thx god for org. arduino still working fine.
So i removed solder between shortcut pins and i got my Z axis finaly :slight_smile:
Btw i like your software.
Thx for your time and help .

Hi,

an easy way to zero workpieces with some aluminum tape and Estlcam:

Christian

1 Like