Estlcam machine controller

Hi Christian! At first I would like to thank you for this amazing piece of software you have created. When I compare the whole setup of Estlcam - arduino to what I’ve been using till now (LinuxCNC - LPT) it’s like a dream coming true:)
I’ve got a suggestion for a new function: What I’m trying to do is to use RC heli BLDC motor controlled by en ESC like this one as a spinde motor with Estlcam. I plan to use another arduino to read the 0-5V from the PWM pin and Spindle on/off pin and make a simple sketch to translate this into signal that controlls the ESC. This is easy and I’m sure it will work flawlessly. But the another arduino would be redundant if you included this functionality directly in estlcam which, I believe, should be an easy task.
My suggestion in short: Adding another spindle mode to Estlcam which would directly control an ESC with a D05 pin.
Thank you again,
Ondra, Czech Rep.

Hello,

creating a RC-servo signal is unforunately not possible.
I have no 16bit counter left and the 8bit counter used for PWM is not suitable to create the signal required by ESCs.

Christian

Ok, thanks for the answer. Is it just me or does anybody else have a problem with formatting in the CNC Controller window?

Hi,

this most likely has to do with up-scaled font sizes somewhere in the display settings of your computer.
What operating system are you using?

Christian

Something I am wanting to do is on a single part using the same tool do some slow feed operations and fast feed operations. The way I am doing it is i setup 2 2mm bits, one uses feed 750mm/s and the other uses 2000mm/s. This works however the program stops for the tool change and requires me to click ok, even though there isnt a “tool change”

Is there a possibility in the future to have a “flag/checkbox” on a tool to not have it perform a toolchange command, ie flag of speed change or something along those lines?

There is cases where i do use 2 tools, and still use the above for one of them, so I cannot just remove the tool changes commmand from the file :frowning:

Just an idea that suits me personally…

Also is appears V10 cannot open V9, is this a bug? just that I have a lot of repetitive jobs I may now have to redo in V10 which will take a bit of time.

Hello,

you can open the cnc file in a text editor and delete all lines beginning with “M00” to remove the tool changes.
(Just use search / replace to delete all occurences of M00 - the comment following M00 may remain and does not matter.)

Christian

Yep thats what I am doing now was hoping for an easier way.

Can you explain how i would use ESTLCAM with a laser? currently i switch to grbl when i want to use the laser…
I see in commands theres the command to start and end cut , is that all you have to do? with those in it auto inserts commands when moving between cuts?

Hello,

yes - just enter M03 in the “start cut” and M05 in the “end cut” field.

Hello,
I might have found a bug in latest estlcam - Reverse direction check boxes. Reversing Y axis works but with Y reversed, X axis moves in the wrong direction no matter whether reverse is checked or unchecked. To make it more complicated - unchecking Y and checking X reverses both X and Y (which is actually exactly what I tried to achieve, just wanted to let you know about a possible bug).

1 Like

Does anyone have a good preset for estlcam? I want to give it a try but Im not sure on the parameters of the setup.

Can you expand on your question a bit? I’m not completely sure what you are asking.
Are you importing a model or 2.5D?
What material, bits, etc.

Hi,

it should be close to this - but you may need to change or fine tune some of the parameters:

I don’t have a X-Carve myself so if someone can send me some feedback I’d add a preset with one of the next Estlcam updates.

Christian

2 Likes

That really helps. I will give it a try today and hopefully make some chips.

If you experience any issues just let me know.

Christian

It is running. I had to tweak the x axis speed, and it isnt completely right yet. I also have to get my limit switches set up. I was able to mimic a carve and it seemed to do well.

Hi,

can you send me a screenshot of the settings once everything is running smoothly?
(or save the settings and send them to me)?
I’ll then add it as preset to Estlcam with the next update.

Christian

I tried several things but I never could get my z settings correct. With what you sent, it would run the motor too fast and it would screech. I had to turn id down to the minimum, and when we tried to carve the z axis would move a lot more than told to. We re-flashed it back to factory to get a project completed. If you have any ideas on the problem let me know.

I used to use Estlcam, and will check my XYZ settings when I’m back home tomorrow

1 Like

Sorry man. I didn’t think until I checked my numbers, but I don’t use a standard Z axis so my settings are no use I’m afraid

1 Like

Hi,

first step would be to check the “steps per revolution” and “distance per revolution” settings:

• Distance per revolution is equal to thread pitch (I think there are different versions available for the Xcarve)
  • Steps per revolution depends on the stepper driver settings - 1600 is quite common but it may also be e.g. 400 or 800.
  • Enter “Z10 F50” (Z10 is the distance and F50 is 50mm/min to be on the safe side concerning speeds) in the controller command line (left bottom of the controller window) and see how far the axis actually travels. If it is more or less than 10mm the issue is one of the above settings)

Also check maximum feedrate to be low enough for the Z-axis - X and Y are much faster.

Christian