Estlcam machine controller

Hi,

Just an update: the issues with some SVG files are now solved in version 8.108
Only texts still need to be converted to paths (font support is unfortunately too complex for me at the moment).
If someone still experiences problems please let me know.

Christian

1 Like

last night i downloaded some fonts and installed them, and they appeared in the selection window of estl cam. I decided to make a vcarve toolpath, and i was verry pleased with the result.

3 Likes

Hi,

I’ve just uploaded a beta version with feed override so you can adjust machining speed from 1 to 100% while the machine is running: www.estlcam.com
There are also a few other changes like probe and limit switch support and it will automatically create a backup of the controller so it can be restored e.g. to GRBL with just 1 click.

It is still a quite early beta version - but I’d be really happy about some feedback.

2 Likes

I will try the machine controller this week, the feed override is a nice feature!

Very Cool.

Ooh! I missed that part!

The save restore part is working, I just just successfully installed and restored. When I loaded the beta it lost my registration data, I had to re-register. I haven’t had time to fully play with it yet, but in the initial setup I told it to use inches/minute. Later I told it to use mm/min for the setup, but not all the fields changed to mm/min, some stayed in in/mm. This is for setting up distance per rev, acceleration etc

No presets for x-carve? :frowning: There are really only two, Z options to consider: M8 and Acme threaded rods.

Edit
I can’t seem to change Z Distance per Rev to match my M8…

Hi,

There are 2 places where units are set: the “Basic settings tab” and the “CNC program generation” tab. For the internal controller only the “Basic settings” tab is relevant - it will override any conflicting settings in the “CNC program generation” tab (that one is only used to generate g-code for other CNC control software).

If someone can send me a well working preset I’ll include it in one of the next updates. I unfortunately can’t create a preset myself because I don’t have a X-Carve.

What is going wrong?

Christian

When I change the number, it just goes back to what it was.

Hi,

You need to press the “Program Arduino” button each time you change a setting - otherwise the change will have no effect.

Christian

When I enter the new number (320) and hit Enter, or tab out, it changes back to what it was (100). Max Feed Rate does keep the new value when I do that.

Hi,

distance per revolution is currently limited to 100mm or ~4 inches.
Do you really have more than 100mm per stepper motor shaft revolution?
I can increase the limit if necessary but 320mm per revolution seems very very strange to me.
As far as I know the value for the X-Carve is 1.25mm if you use the M8 screw and something about 2.117 for the ACME scew.

Christian

I was just looking at my grbl settings. Maybe it was too early and I was looking at the wrong lines.

Edit
Yup. Needed more coffee! :wink:

Installed, jogged around a bit, and then went back to grbl. All seemed fine, but the Z speed is too high. Where do I set that?

Hi,

have a look at Version 8.205:

The “Maximum feedrate” fields set the maximum speed for each axis:

The jog control arrows now have 5 segments for 5 different speeds:

The speeds itself can be set in the keyboard tab:

There you can also change the keyboard layout if necessary…

To use the keyboard first make sure the keyboard control button is enabled:

So the keyboard layout is basically split into “direction” keys to the right and “speed” key to the left:

• If you want to move slow just press one of the direction keys…
  • If you want to move a little faster simultaneously keep “2” on the
    left pressed…
  • Even faster keep “3” or “4” pressed…
  • And for maximum speed “5”…

And finally you can also use an Xbox360 gamepad:

Be aware of the triggers: the joysticks alone won’t accelerate the machine to full speed so they can be used for precise adjustments - to accelerate to full speed you also need to press one of the triggers.

Christian

Thanks.

Is there an explanation of Layers usage?

What do you mean with layers?

I just noticed it in the menus.

Christian, can you either post on your web site, or include in the software a changelog. It would be nice to know the changes between versions, especially when you do a lot of releases quickly like you are right now.