Estlcam machine controller

Biggest issue here is it is Windows and I do not run Windows under any circumstances, well very, very few at least and since this is a tossup I probably won’t.

I loaded up Estlcam and went through the setup process. All of the axis’ work in the manual mode and I did an air cut for a few minutes that seemed to work fine. I’ve ordered a license and once received I’ll run a project through it and report back.

That autolevelling looks pretty sweet, will definitley use it for my next PCB…

Just a though, is there anyway I could probe my bed, and save that as a “template” i can import for every job, my machine has slight variances, and it would be good to map it out for all jobs that don’t require as much accuracy, ie pcbs where I would probe each job…

1 Like

Hi,

probing the bed is unfortunately not possible yet.
(Estlcams coordinate system is workpiece related - it does not know its absolute position on the machine because it doesn’t matter for the intended workflow and would make things just unnecessarily complicated)

With the controller backup, how can i purge that? i used to use grbl 0.9j, and the controller took a backup of that,and i could program estl and restore fine.

now i updated grbl to 0.9i but when i flash with estlcam and restore the restore gives me .9j back… is it a file somwhere i can delete?

There are 2 ways you can delete the backup:

• Delete the file “controller_backup.dat” in Estlcams settings folder
    (usually something like “C:\ProgramData\Estlcam\V8_2” - but may be different on different computers)
  • Or just uninstall the whole program and reinstall it.

Christan, a thumbs up! :+1:
I really enjoy working with Estlcam!

@ChristianKnull

Great program man! Carving my first thing right now and it looks to be a keeper thus far. Workflow from Inkscape to Eslt via .dxf files works like a charm.

Keep up the good work!

Adding the backup feature would be great. I would buy your software right now but am worried about messing up my arduino. Also being able to change the feed rates while running a job would be amazing! It is usually guesswork for me and I usually go too slow and it could have been twice as fast but once you start I am scared to stop and change it because it seldom aligns correctly.

Anyone have a functional preset file for a 500mm XC? I have not dared flashing the arduino via estlcam yet.

Also, I need to do a tool change in a job. Gcode files exported from estlcam do not work out of the box with UGS. I see no option to have estlcam export each tool needed as separate files. UGS ignores whatever estlcam is putting in the file about tool changes.

You could split the file up yourself after it is saved. Do a search for M06 or M6 that is where the tool change is then add your headers and footers and save multiple files from it.

Make sense?

1 Like

estlcam issues m05 and m00
Here is a tool change in the file as written by estlcam( I think) . I am not fluent in gcode…

First toolpath is a 3.175 2 flute straight bit

G01 X58.4125 Y11.5875
G01 X11.5875
G00 Z5.0000

(No. 2: Clear carve bottom)
M05
M00 (Change tool: 30 bit) This is ignored by UGS 1.0.9
M03 S10000
G00 X86.7002 Y51.6502 Z5.0000

The M05 turns off your spindle and the M00 isues a stop to the program…which UGS does ignore.

you would need to start the second file at the M03 s10000 (Turn on spindle and set spindle speed to 10000)

copy that and everything below that into a new text file.

You would need the header from the original file so you can set feedrates…that would go before the M03

I see it is time to fire up Notepad++ and fix things.
Apparently I am spoiled by F360 where you can export every operation in a separate file if you wish. :wink:

Thanx for input, Erik.

1 Like

For Estle, you would just not do all the toolpaths at once. Do one for each tool.

For all who are thinking of flashing the adruino with Estlcam: going back to GRBL is very easy. I switched from GRBL to Estlcam and back to GRBL a couple of times.

To save GRBL to the arduino, please visit the GRBL wiki page on Github: https://github.com/grbl/grbl/wiki/Compiling-Grbl

Summary of the wiki: Just download and import the GRBL files into the arduino ide. Then run the sketch from the GRBL example.

So this is it.

I use Estlcam Controller even for STL and Easel generated G-Code. So no need any other Gcode / GRBL Tools.

My workflow know is: Inkscape or Fusion360 or Easel => Estlcam for CAM and / or to control my X-Carve.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask :smile:

in Fusion360 you can create a new setup for each operation. In the setup you define your operations with the specific tool.
Then you can export each setup separately.

Yeah I know. I have used F360 together with UGS for a while and I really like how can export 1…X operations to file.

I usually do a Setup pr side of machining and use Folders for each tool type. The flexibility on how you can organize your toolpaths in F360 is great.

Hi,

I’ve not been aware of the issue with tool changes in UGS.

• If anyone knows a suitable tool change command for UGS I’ll create a custom setting for UGS in Estlcam.
  • Maybe M1 / M6 or a T command?

I’ll also have a look whether I can create separate files - but this is something I’d really like to avoid because it messes with the code saving functions in Estlcam.

Tool changes in Gcode I suppose follow the norm, try this page
cnc cookbook