Estlcam machine controller

[quote=“KieronMarshall, post:167, topic:14660, full:true”]Don’t worry I will no longer be making suggestions from now on, it seems I am of the smallest minority :wink:
[/quote]

I actually appreciate suggestions - I hope my previous answer isn’t seen as rude or trying to block feedback (I’m German - my English may unintentionally sound a bit rude sometimes).

[quote=“ZacharyHennen, post:168, topic:14660, full:true”]I would like to suggest having keyboard shortcuts. I’m pretty sure there are none, not even Ctrl+s for save. Nothing fancy, just the basics would be handy :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I’ll put it on my to do list.
At the moment there are just a few:

• Del: deletes selected toolpaths
  • Backspace: undo for certain operations like manual shape detection
  • Ctrl + A: Select all
  • Ctrl + C: Copy toolpaths
  • Ctrl + V: Paste toolpaths
  • F12: Open CNC Controller window

Awesome, thanks. I didn’t know about F12, that one I’ll use quite a bit.

Zac

Hi,

I’ve just uploaded an update with support for the Arduino NANO

Christian

Thank you for adding a changelog !

Christian, I have purchased Estlcam because of the trocoidal cutting. I love that part! I’m building a new cnc router & will be cutting all my own plates. I have a problem when I export a skp file as dfx from Sketchup & into Esdlcam,set up the task & then use GRBL to execute the resulting file. All appears to be well, but the measurements of the resulting part are wrong… It looks like its been on steroids, as it has grown. One example is 2 rows of holes 100mm apart for wheels tofit OpenBuilds extrusion, They are in excess of 120mm, the overall width of the prt is about 20% extra as well.
I use the same files, (skp & dfx) fed into Aspire & the code runs as it should. Do you have any ideas, please?
I used GRBL Controller 3.6.1 for the Estlcam code.

@GeorgeHawthorn When you export as a DXF from Sketchup, make sure that under the Camera tab, you set Parallel Projection and not Perspective.

Thanks Mate. I’ll rerun tomorrow & report back. After a few days of hair pulling (metaphorically speaking!) I’m now smiling!

Christian,

Are you considering making your program compatible with Charley’s 3 Axis Automatic Zero for X-Carve? It is a very useful piece of equipment but I have been unable to get it to work automatically with your wonderful program. Inclusion of this functionality would make your software no-brainer!

That fixed the size problem, thanks, But I have another. The imported dxf has spots for a drilled hole. Estlcam won’t let me put a drill marker on the spot, only just beside it. Is there a way to overcome this, please?FIXED

Hello.

When i try to program my arduino with Estlcam i get this.

Any idea what could be wrong?

thx.

Alex

Hi,

this error happens with some Arduino clones - unfortunately not all are compatible.
Try a genuine one - they work reliably.

Christian

Hi,

I’ve just added a new feature: touch plate support for fast and precise workpiece zero measurements:

Christian

3 Likes

It just keeps getting better and better! I love the angle compensation feature.
It’s almost enough reason for me to run a Windows machine. :wink:

I’m impressed! Ask for the feature and in 2 months it’s added. U DA MAN Christian! Nice work!

I have problems with scanning surface will not have any manual or other video that can help me

Another thing I’ve found is that I don’t have any more smashed homing switches!!! The axis stops when the switch is activated by manual jogging. This is gonna save me great deal of unpleasant words directed at myself. What am I going to do with these extra switches reserved for feeding the previously unending appetite of the Z?

Glad to see you finally put in homing to cater to the shitty machinist like me ;:wink:

I’d completely given up on using ESTLCAM as a controller, but now with this in I will definitely look at using it again, Touchplate support looks awesome as well.

After some playing around as a controller now, I am finding all my jobs I am getting avoidable loss error. i get it on a circle diamond square below

I am trying to cut this job at 1500
My max feed rates are 5000 for xy 1000 for z.
Inertia I have played around till the cows come home and set in 10 increments from 0 to 90 with no effect, Accellearation I have set to 2-5 mm with no difference.

What am I missing?

I was using GRBL and had its feedrates set to 5000, and I managed to cut this job fine with no problems as high as 3000 without the issue I am getting now. I am sure its me configuring estlcam wrong but I dont know what??

The 1000 mm x-carve default is 8000 mm/min max for x and y. 500 mm/min max for z.Try these values and see if you get the error. GRBL would not give any errors. Supposedly Inventables tested for these values.Did they? It would be nice if some one could give a recommended settings for ESTLCAM for the X-carves. The Shapeoko defaults should be close to the X-carve for x and y. Try those values. I just tried a cut with trochoidal full depth paths followed by a finish pass in 7075 Al and the job time was cut by a 1/3. Lovin’ ESTLCAM. Guess I need to send him some money.

Hi,

[quote=“KieronMarshall, post:185, topic:14660, full:true”]
After some playing around as a controller now, I am finding all my jobs I am getting avoidable loss error. i get it on a circle diamond square below[/quote]

can you please send me the file and a screenshot of cnc controller settings to christian@estlcam.com ?
Seems like there is a problem with the machining time difference calculation.

Christian

I’ve found the issue - it is caused by the large difference between XY and Z axis resolution and feeds on the X-carve. At the moment Estlcam bases all calculations on the “weakest” axis - I’ll try to find a solution for this but it may take some time.

Christian