Expanding horizons

Wasn’t sure which category this belongs under. To date I have been using only Easel and Inkscape. I am beginning now to look at other options. Specifically F Engrave, and Fusion 360. I would like to V carve and try some 3d milling. I have both of these programs installed and operational, although I don’t know how to operate either one.

Am I correct that F Egrave will not open an svg file, but will open and automatically “trace” a bitmap? I guess I’m amazed given how much work I’ve had to do to clean up tracings in Inkscape. I have read that Easel will import gcode from F Engrave but only after some tweaking. Is this correct? I’ve never tweaked any gcode before.

Regarding Fusion 360, it looks like it won’t open an STL file. I’m confused about how this works. I sort of expected to find an stl file I liked, download it, open it in Fusion, save the geode, import it with Easel and cut. Not sure where to start.

I’m aware of the Vectrics products and the free trials, but I know I’m missing a fundamental understanding of this process and want a better grasp of it before I purchase anything.

Any and all help/advice appreciated.