Expanding the x-carve size(bigger then 1000x1000mm?

I was thinking of a piece of threaded rod that is slightly smaller than the holes. With a good threaded alignment pin that fit exactly inside the holes, it could work.

Angus, attached pictures of the bump. Just quick assembly to see how bad it will be. I can hardly create any motion at all in the joint and hardly can feel the gap with my finger. I think this will work just fine.

3 Likes

@DavidBrooke

Thank you for sharing this!

I’m encouraged to see that someone else has expanded the y to 1800mm. I’ve been seriously considering expanding my 1000mm X carve but have been wary.

Would you be willing to share a parts list for the expansion? I think I’m close, but I’m not 100% sure.

For example, I’m wondering how much additional stepper wire, gt2 belting, drag chain links etc… I would need to do this right.

Here is where I’m currently “guestimating”

1 Like

@DavidBulfin

That looks to be about the same bill of materials that I have came up with for an 1800mm y-axis. The only other thing you might consider is limit switch cable if you are running them. I have been trying to figure out how much of that to get myself.

Also, don’t forget that you will have to get longer y-axis extrusions for the base if you are going to configure it similar to a standard x-carve. I am planning on using the makersfoot, so I am thinking that I can do away with all of the 20x20mm extrusions and mount the feet directly to a torsion box vacuum table top like the following:

1 Like

Here is the bill of materials I ordered to make mine an 1800 X 1000.
2) 1800 MM Maker Slide

1. Drag Chain, Inside Height: 15mm, Inside Width: 20mm, Bend Radius: 38mm, 1m, Link Type: Semi Open (basically its a whole new drag chain for the 1000 MM) I used all but about 6 or 7 links.
  2. Maker Slide end plates. I used those for the center of the 1800 MM Maker Slide for supports. They fit on the inside of the maker slide and work great for supports.
    I ordered extrusion brackets. 1000 MM and Extrusion Brackets (gussets) but didn’t use those. I went a different way with the waste board.
    13 feet of 6MM pitch 2MM Belting.
    15 feet of Stepper motor cable.
    10 feet of Zip Wire.
    As for the belting and cable, I prefer to have to much than not enough.
    What I did for my base was to set a 3/4 piece of plywood on a cabinet base. Then I cut a piece of 3/4 MDF to fit inside the end extrusions which are 3/4" thick. So it fit just perfect and it gives me an extra 3/4 inch of depth for carving. Then I drilled the holes in for the hold downs.
    If I this is confusing, let me know. I can take some photos to better show it.
3 Likes

Not confusing but the photos would still be nice. Enjoy seeing setups.

That was amazing! He does a great job with the animations and timelapses. Very slick.

@Deepnoizer, how are the MakerFeet (MakerFoots?) working out for you? Have you carved with it yet? I’m curious about those joints and whether there are any artifacts in the work product where the joints are. It looks encouraging from your earlier photos.

Still waiting for more parts I expect to have frame ready next weekend but I’m not rushing it waiting for the x controller. MakerFeet part is done and overall I’m pleased with the way they worked out.

On the pictures you see the cuts and drilling I had to do to make it work for me.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update. That’s a nice looking setup you’ve got there!

looking good

Wondering if you cut the ends of the makerslide yourself prior to joining them?
I don’t trust my old chop saw to do a precise enough cut, so I am hoping I can just join the pieces as they are when they arrive. Otherwise, I’ll have to call in a favor to use a friends shop.
Thanks.

My Y axis is 1 meter and 1.8 meter together so I did not have to cut anything.
I had to cut my X axis and I had no issues doing it with my saw.
For some reason it is made look like some mystical skill on forums etc. I purchased new diablo 84 tooth finishing blade. Armed myself in glasses and gloves, can of WD-40. Said good bye to my family and hugged my dog for the last time. Clamped my extrusion with biggest clamps I could find and did some test cuts on some 4x4s to see if all is square.
After my first extrusion cut I was seriously disappointed how easy and uneventful it was, 30 minutes later I was free hand cutting rest of them.
Just make sure to protect your eyes, I had tinny shaving bounce around my glasses and hit my eye, god that hurt like hell !

Thanks. I hate that I’ll be the first to mess this up…

how did you bolt them together? so that there was little to no joint in the middle that would cause a bump as it travels over it

Hi

, someone experienced mount an X-carve on Linear Guide? or know of incombenientes? Thank you

I just upscaled mine with the 1800mm makerslide and taller end plates I cut on the xcarve. it will now cut 64 inches by 31 by 4inches tall. Im making a video of the build . I will post it when done.

8 Likes

Instead of paying lot of money you can go get Maslow CNC for $550 that can do 4x8 or larger sheets

I already had the x carve , upgrading wasn’t to much more.