Expanding the X-carve to 2000 x 1000 mm

Hi there,

I bought my X-carve with expansion in mind. I’ve seen a lot of home made upgrades.
I tried to keep mine as much stock-like as possible.

Here are some pictures of the process. Next step will be expanding the wiring and testing ! I’m very excited.

For the 2x 1596 mm v-slots of the frame i used double V-slot rails. Which i mount verticaly. This way there is more strenght in the expanding direction

For supporting the longer Y axis i used 2 acrylic pieces which i cut with my x-carve before upgrading.

Notice in the middle of my frame i have 2 v-slot rails close to eachother. I will use this to clamp longer material in a vertical position. The longer material continues under the table. It makes cuts in the side face of boards possible.

I will post a Bill of materials here soon.

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

Also @inventables, the Z-rail is to long at the bottom which prevents me from cutting higher objects. The few millimeters extra are not necessary i believe.

This is my buddy Printprins helping me here, He and i love 3d printing with our Prusa mk2’s and he’s a real prince in doing so. Be sure to check him out @ https://www.instagram.com/printprins/

If you would like to order a 3d print feel free to visit my hub @ https://www.3dhubs.com/service/207228

Enjoy this upgrade !

8 Likes

What length are the two long 2020 extrusions that travel in the “Y” direction, and where did you get single pieces that long? Also, is there any parts list up yet? I’m looking forward to the list. I plan on doing something similar to this, the only difference I’m thinking about making is adding my two 1000mm rails to a new set of 1800mm to make the entire thing 2800mm X 1000mm. I’m just curious as to where you got some 2000mm 2020 extrusion, thanks -Drew

Soon i will provide you with a full list of sizes and links to the shops where i bought them.
I believe you can choose to cut the makerslides in preffered length.

Best regards, Basiel

1 Like

Hey, I have an update on my end, I finally got around to ordering all the parts I needed to upgrade my machine to 2800mm x 1000mm. I, like you, will be posting pictures and a list of parts and their prices as soon as I have everything together and documented. I still look forward to seeing what you have in terms of the list. I also added an aviation style bulk head wiring terminal to the back of the X-Controller so that I can run the wires through a wall in the enclosure that I will be building for the machine, it’ll also act as a quick disconnect for the X-Controller so that I can quickly disconnect it and take it inside should the weather get bad enough since I live in Orlando and we have to deal with hurricanes. The bulk head terminal is also dust and water proof which is an added bonus. I’ll post back when all is together, the terminal is coming from China so it won’t be here for some time.

1 Like

So here is the list of parts used to expand and also the price and link to the shop where i bought them.
Feel free to add if something comes to mind. Lijst met aankopen.xlsx (33.3 KB)

2 Likes

The only way the X-Carve would be of value to me is if the cutting area was at least 1250mm x 2500mm (49"x97"). Has anyone done this? Source for 2040/ 2080 extrusions of this length? Thank you.